Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/08 21:25:15 UTC

[DISCUSS] Artemis Documentation for older releases on WebSite

Do we still need to provide documentation for older releases?
A big portion of the size now on the website is due to older releases.

I believe we should stop doing that, after all if you go to the
archive on previous releases, the binary will include documentations.

Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis Documentation for older releases on WebSite

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
It does add up, and so I'd say cleaning out older bits periodically is
a good idea. Less of an issue on git as it was on svn though.

The Artemis docs are fairly light in terms of file count and size
compared to the apidocs added for the 5.x releases, as earlier over
half that could be trimmed in my opinion without really affecting
things. I think cleaning out the oldest docs is a good idea either way
though.

The fact the source and generated content are on different branches
also makes the sheer volume of files much more noticable, as it also
takes a wee moment to swap between branches while doing the updates.
We keep both src+output on the asf-site branch for Qpid, so thats an
issue I've not noticed with manipulating the vast number of files
before, though its a relatively small issue (so long as you have an
SSD I guess :P)

Robbie

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis Documentation for older releases on WebSite

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Artemis Documentation for older releases on WebSite

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Thats definitely true, and why in the end I dont have a problem
removing older releases content from the site. I do think having some
period of release docs available on the site can be good though, as
its easier for ourselves to point folks to relevant version-specific
doc details if they are on the site, and regrettably many folks tend
not to be on the current version.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.