Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/22 21:55:56 UTC

Upgrade Tapestry build to Java 11

Hi everyone!

Earlier this year I worked on a project where we upgraded all Tapestry apps
of one of our client to Java 11 with source & target compatibility = 11. We
were using custom version of Tapestry with only one patch on top of current
state of the master which I just checked in to the main code base:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2611

However I couldn't find a way to write a test for it as it would require
some test classes compiled with Java 11 target compatibility level.

I've found the following issue discussing migration path to Java 11 for the
Tapestry build, but the issue is now closed and there were not conclusion
on what should be done next:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2588

I tried to upgrade the build to Java 11 before I found discussion in
TAP5-2588, and I even upgraded most of it while experimenting and got all
the tests green, except tapestry-javadoc module, which at first glance
requires code rewrite and not just library upgrades and minor fixes as it
was with core modules.

I found that current build has some customisations for Java 9, and in
TAP5-2588 there were discussions about supporting Java 10 also, but I don't
think that's necessary at the moment when Java 11 -- current LTS release --
is out, as those are intermediate releases and are already not supported.

So I would suggest to go straight to Java 11 after we release current state
of master (5.5.x).

Starting from 5.6 all releases can remain binary compatible with java 8,
but the build itself may leverage the java 11 compiler to start testing
java 8+ compatibility, as required by TAP5-2611, for example.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Dmitry

Re: Upgrade Tapestry build to Java 11

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ben!

I didn't try to compile Tapestry itself to target compatibility = 11,
as I mentioned above it should probably remain java 8 for some time.

It isn't necessary for the time being, we may do so later when we implement
proper jigsaw modules.

For now I was talking mostly about using JDK 11 complier with
source/targetCompatibility=8,
to be able to create Java 11 compatibility tests.

It shouldn't stop you from adding current state of the master branch in
your Java 11 projects
as regular 3rd party dependency, same as we did with ours.

I can't recall any issues of using current state of the master branch with
Java 11,
Tapestry team and contributors already did most of the job.

--
Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: Upgrade Tapestry build to Java 11

Posted by Ben Weidig <be...@netzgut.net>.
Hi Dmitry,

--

Netzgut GmbH

Re: Upgrade Tapestry build to Java 11

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oliver,

I’m using 5.5.0-beta-3, and been using latest state of the master before
that.

On Tuesday, September 17, 2019, Oliver Hanraths <
oliver.hanraths@gallerysystems.com> wrote:

> On Di, 2019-09-17 at 13:24 +0300, Dmitry Gusev wrote:
> > All tapestry apps I'm working on are on java 11 already, but I realise
> > not everyone is migrated and it would be nice to get some feedback
> > from community about it.
>
> Which Tapestry version do you use for Java 11? As far as I know the
> latest release (5.4.4) does not work with it, right? Do you use custom
> builds?

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: Upgrade Tapestry build to Java 11

Posted by Oliver Hanraths <ol...@gallerysystems.com>.

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thiago,

I was thinking of merging it to 5.6.

It has no functional changes and tapestry runtime jars can still run on
java 8.
The jars are just built with the java 11 compiler, but byte code level is
still java 8 for runtime.
I'm saying "for runtime", because one tapestry-javadoc would now require
JDK11,
so if anyone has custom javadocs for their tapestry components they will be
forced to upgrade their java
(or temporarily use old tapestry-javadoc dependency for compatibility).

Not sure about switching to java 11 byte code for 5.6.

I'd love to do this, because it would allow running tests on java 11
bytecode which we currently miss.
I still plan to write a test for
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2611
With java 8 as main target I have to create a new module just for java 11
compatibility in tests,
on the other hand if we switch target compatibility to java 11 in 5.6
already I could create that test in existing module.

All tapestry apps I'm working on are on java 11 already, but I realise not
everyone is migrated
and it would be nice to get some feedback from community about it.

--
Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: Upgrade Tapestry build to Java 11

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

--
Thiago

Re: Upgrade Tapestry build to Java 11

Posted by Christopher Dodunski <Ch...@christopher.net.nz>.
Thanks Bob.

I see it is offered as a 3rd party Tapestry module, but thanks for
confirming that it isn't bundled with Tapestry core.

https://tapestry.apache.org/third-party-modules.html

Regards,

Chris.

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.