Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Jonathan Hurley <jh...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/11/01 01:59:27 UTC

Re: Nagios Alert & Ambari 2.0

Hi Newton,

The only option for Nagios with Ambari 2.0.0 is to have Nagios running outside of the managed cluster, pulling Ambari alert data into it. There is a Jira open for writing a script for Nagios that will allow it to query the alert REST endpoint. This will be the only option for Nagios; the alerts will still be managed by Ambari.  Essentially, Nagios just becomes another way to surface the current alert state.

On Oct 31, 2014, at 5:31 PM, Newton Alex <na...@pivotal.io> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Thanks,
> Newton
>

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Jonathan Hurley <jh...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Great question!
>
> Yes, the upgrade will remove the Nagios service from Ambari, leaving a dangling Nagios instance that needs to be manually decommissioned from running Ambari alerts. My suggestion would be to have the Ambari 2.0.0 upgrade documentation outline what needs to be removed from Nagios. This will most likely be editing/removing the hadoop-services.cfg and hadoop-commands.cfg files.
>

> On Oct 29, 2014, at 4:45 PM, Nate Cole <nc...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> > +1 for the proposal.
> >
> > What will be the process for turning off all the hadoop-centric alerts from the running Nagios instance?  That we remove the service from Ambari still leaves a "dangling service."
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Nate
> >

> > On Oct 29, 2014, at 2:47 PM, Jonathan Hurley <jh...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Committers & Contributors,
> >>
> >> With Ambari 2.0, a new alerts framework has been implemented with the intent to replace Nagios. If you would like to learn more about this feature, the design documents can be found in the Jira epic at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-6354.
> >>
> >> The work has been completed to move the HDP 2.x stack over from Nagios to the internal alerts framework. However, HDP 1.x and Bigtop have not yet been migrated. I would like to propose that we move all stacks off of Nagios so that we can remove that dependency from Ambari completely.
> >>
> >> This also means that upon upgrading from a prior Nagios-enabled release of Ambari, Nagios will be removed as a dependent service. It will no longer be a part of the managed cluster.
> >>
> >> This will allow us to also remove any Nagios-specific areas of the codebase that would otherwise need to remain for legacy purposes. It would also relieve the requirement on clients to have intimate knowledge of which stack/version can be Nagios-enabled.
> >> --
> >> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> >> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to
> >> privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader
> >> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
> >> received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately
> >

> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> > NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to
> > of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
> > received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Nagios Alert & Ambari 2.0

Posted by Newton Alex <na...@pivotal.io>.
That is good to know.