Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Philip Mak <pm...@aaanime.net> on 2001/06/17 04:43:21 UTC

Is ProxyPass the best you can do?

I've been thinking about the ProxyPass technique for coping with
mod_perl's high memory usage (setup a non-mod_perl httpd that handles all
requests, but ProxyPasses the mod_perl calls to a mod_perl enabled
Apache).

I find that the complexity of this method is more than it should have to
be. For one thing, ProxyPass only works on a directory. But if you have
images and scripts in the same directory, this is a problem (and it's
convenient to be able to have them in the same directory, so that your
scripts can <a href="image.jpg"> instead of <a href="/images/image.jpg">
especially when you have a lot of images in different directories).

Is there a way to ProxyPass by file extension or something?

-Philip Mak (pmak@aaanime.net)

Re: Is ProxyPass the best you can do?

Posted by Martin Redington <m....@ucl.ac.uk>.
Squid is the alternative mentioned in the mod_perl_tuning.pod that comes
with mod_perl.

Alternatively, you could try using mod_rewrite, to direct requests for
scripts to a different apache instance (e.g. running on a separate port
or ip). I've never tried this, but it should work.

Squid might be more efficient.

     cheers,
         Martin