Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org> on 2006/11/16 01:19:33 UTC

[VOTE] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release

The OpenJPA incubator community voted on and has approved a proposal
to release OpenJPA 0.9.6-incubating. Pursuant to the Releases section
of the Incubation Policy (http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
Incubation_Policy.html#Releases ) we would now like to request the
permission of the Incubator PMC to publish the release zip file on
the openjpa download page (http://cwiki.apache.org/openjpa/
downloads.html).

Proposal:

   http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-open-jpa-dev/
200611.mbox/%3cD51C3843-E71F-42C7-AA89-75949FF19D5D@apache.org%3e

Vote result:

   http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-open-jpa-dev/
200611.mbox/%3c9A571E60-CA08-4386-9E2A-3AB31E26D3DC@apache.org%3e

We look forward to the vote passing and seeing an initial incubation
release of OpenJPA!

Re: OpenJPA IP clearance (was: Re: [VOTE] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release)

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 11/22/06, Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com> wrote:
>   I can take care of the page once we've confirmed that the code was recorded.
>
>   Geir, you've got more experience with this than I -- any idea where
> the OpenJPA code grant documented?  I didn't find it in grants.txt.

sometimes corporate code comes in as a grant, sometimes as a ccla-with-grant

there's something which sounds about right in cclas.txt but someone
more familar with the contents needs to confirm...

- robert

Re: OpenJPA IP clearance (was: Re: [VOTE] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release)

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com>.
  I can take care of the page once we've confirmed that the code was recorded.

  Geir, you've got more experience with this than I -- any idea where
the OpenJPA code grant documented?  I didn't find it in grants.txt.

Eddie

ps -- to update the Incubator website, you need two things:

#1: Check this out of SVN:
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/
#2: Karma to commit changes and then sync those changes onto
/www/incubator.apache.org/projects
I think Geir made it this easy a while ago -- nice work.  :)

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
OpenJPA People-

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Robert,

On Nov 16, 2006, at 12:14 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 11/16/06, Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> The OpenJPA incubator community voted on and has approved a proposal
>> to release OpenJPA 0.9.6-incubating. Pursuant to the Releases section
>> of the Incubation Policy (http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
>> Incubation_Policy.html#Releases ) we would now like to request the
>> permission of the Incubator PMC to publish the release zip file on
>> the openjpa download page (http://cwiki.apache.org/openjpa/
>> downloads.html).
>>

>> Proposal:
>>
>>    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-open-jpa-dev/
>> 200611.mbox/%3cD51C3843-E71F-42C7-AA89-75949FF19D5D@apache.org%3e
>>
>> Vote result:
>>
>>    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-open-jpa-dev/
>> 200611.mbox/%3c9A571E60-CA08-4386-9E2A-3AB31E26D3DC@apache.org%3e
>
> what's the url for the artifacts to be released?

The artifacts are staged at:

   http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/org/apache/
openjpa/openjpa-project/0.9.6-incubating/openjpa-project-0.9.6-
incubating-binary.zip

The GPG signature and MD5 checksums are at:

   http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/org/apache/
openjpa/openjpa-project/0.9.6-incubating/openjpa-project-0.9.6-
incubating-binary.zip.asc
   http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/org/apache/
openjpa/openjpa-project/0.9.6-incubating/openjpa-project-0.9.6-
incubating-binary.zip.md5

The sources, sources GPG signature and sources MD5 checksum are
available at:

   http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/org/apache/
openjpa/openjpa-project/0.9.6-incubating/openjpa-project-0.9.6-
incubating-source.zip
   http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/org/apache/
openjpa/openjpa-project/0.9.6-incubating/openjpa-project-0.9.6-
incubating-source.zip.asc
   http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/org/apache/
openjpa/openjpa-project/0.9.6-incubating/openjpa-project-0.9.6-
incubating-source.zip.md5

Is this what you meant?

Craig

> - robert

Craig Russell

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 11/16/06, Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org> wrote:

> > what's the url for the artifacts to be released?
>
> As mentioned in the vote proposal,

true

but this is a binding VOTE thread so it's good to have the information
noted here also for the record

- robert

Re: [VOTE] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
> what's the url for the artifacts to be released?

As mentioned in the vote proposal, the release candidate is at:

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.
+1

--
Patrick Linskey
BEA Systems, Inc.

by email and then delete it.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
+1

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Some of the smarter browsers will look at the .jar suffix and try to
execute it by looking at the manifest to find the Main program. This
is not the behavior we want. I don't know of any such issues
with .zip files. If these are automatically processed by the browser
download program, they typically simply decompress the file into a
directory, which is actually what is intended.

Craig

On Nov 16, 2006, at 6:22 PM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> Roy-
>
> I think people use the ".zip" extensions because that is what most
> desktop managers will map to the decompression application. Also,
> recent version of Windows allow exploring of .zip file from within
> explorer.exe as if they were directory structures.
>
> To my knowledge, no OS is smart enough to be able to distinguish
> between a .jar that is just an archive of files vs. an
> executable .jar file (where double-clicking indicates that the
> jar's application should be launched).
>
> Of course, the existing .zip assembly file can always be unpacked
> using the "jar xvf ...zip" command, so no additional software
> should ever be required to unpack them.

>>> The zip contains documentation, examples, and the dependency jars
>>> required to run the examples.
>>
>> Yes, I know that -- the point was that the jar format, as in
>>
>>    jar cvf mypackage.jar mypackage
>>
>> is a general archive format that uses ZIP compression and can be
>> unpacked by anyone who has installed java.  Is there a reason to
>> use a separate packaging format that is specific to winzip?
>>
>> I use gzipped tar for C releases and jar for java releases, but
>> I have also seen a lot of other java projects that distribute both
>> a .zip package and a tar.gz package.  I was wondering if you knew
>> why.
>>
>> ....Roy

Craig Russell

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
Roy-

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
Roy-

On Nov 16, 2006, at 5:09 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2006, at 4:30 PM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:
>
>> We'll correct these issues asap. Once corrected artifacts are
>> uploaded, I assume it will necessary to re-start the vote on the
>> open-jpa-dev list before re-starting the vote here. Please correct
>> me if I am wrong.
>
> That is correct -- each release vote is on a specific sequence of
> bits.
> Also, be sure the other developers know what is being changed and why,
> so that the project as a whole learns how to make releases (and what
> they should be looking for before casting +1 votes).

Will do.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 30, 2006, at 1:19 PM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> Kevan-
>
> Would you be amenable to having a single NOTICE file, but changing
> the wording to:
>
> "The OpenJPA binary zip distribution is bundled with the..."
>
> ?

Hi Marc,
Well, actually on closer reading of your LICENSE file, it looks like
two files in openjpa-all are CDDL licensed. So, I wouldn't recommend
that change. Please let me know if I'm incorrect...

In general, yes, that type of change would help. However, it still
requires some work on the embedder's part. I'd really prefer more
precision rather than conditional statements requiring some
analysis... That's my 2 cents, anyway...

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
Kevan-

>>> LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt files. However, looking at http://

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 11/18/06, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I just have to give you a very public THANK YOU for your assistance
> to projects in the incubator. I personally look forward to reading
> your posts because I learn so much from them. I think you are a model
> for how to give constructive feedback and nurture projects. Please
> keep up the terrific work.

(being an englishman of the self-deprecating sort, public praise makes
me unconfortable :-/ but thanks anyway...)

but if there's any credit due, it's to those that taught me how to cut
releases (i won't embarrass them by naming names since most are still
around) by a similar process, and to the infrastructure and legal
teams who actually did the hard thinking (rather than the easier
talking)

respect (you know who you are)

- robert

Re: [VOTE] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Robert,

I just have to give you a very public THANK YOU for your assistance
to projects in the incubator. I personally look forward to reading
your posts because I learn so much from them. I think you are a model
for how to give constructive feedback and nurture projects. Please
keep up the terrific work.

Thanks,

Craig

On Nov 18, 2006, at 6:49 AM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> [...]
> in the document or (at least) included the information in
> http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence.
>
> unfortunately, this sounds like it might take a while to sort out :-/
>
> might be quicker just to create a clean room implementation direct
> from the specification
>
>> > -- comments --
>> >
>> > --- notes and suggestions (for future reference) ---
>> >
>> > there is no need to create sums for detached signatures.
>>
>> Maven seems to automatically attach .md5 and .sha1 checksums to all
>> uploaded artifacts. Since we are generating the .asc signatures in
>> the Maven process, it seems to include these in the list of artifacts
>> to sign. There doesn't seem to be any way to disable this, and the
>> convenience gained by having these files generated and uploaded as
>> part of the Maven build process outweighed the annoyance of having
>> these vestigial checksums lying around (IMO).
>
> fine
>
>> > some users (typically on *nix) prefer either bz2'd or tar.gz's
>> > distributions. creating additional artifacts is quick and easy
>> so this
>> > is an easy way to make life just a little easier for some users.
>>
>> We briefly discussed this on the open-jpa-list. While it is certainly
>> de-facto convention to release under both .zip and .tar.gz packaging
>> types, the only compelling reason to do so appears to be that UNIX
>> executable permissions are lost in the zip format. Since we don't
>> have any executables in the openjpa distribution, there doesn't seem
>> to be much reason to have additional packaging formats.
>>
>> We'd be interested in knowing if there are other advantages to having
>> multiple packaging mechanisms, though.
>
> releases are important guerrilla advertising for a project :-)
>
> user expectation and convenience. users expect projects that produce
> just zip'd distributions to be windows centric. distributions with
> alternative compression are easy and quick to produce. so IMHO it
> makes sense to distribute .tar.gz'd as well as zip'd just to make
> *nix'ers feel at home. good for linux-centric grassroots news channels
> (such as freshmeat) as well.
>
> but it's for the community to decide so it's the debate that's
> important
>
> <snip>
>
>> > there is no RELEASE_NOTES in the base directory. for open source
>> > projects, these serve as an important communication to users. the
>> > content will often serve for reuse in announcements and other
>> > grassroots publicity. consider creating them for the next release.
>>
>> We don't have one since this is our initial release, so the whole
>> package is effectively one big release note :)
>
> RELEASE_NOTES are important guerrilla advertising for a project :-)
>
> the content is often reused for announcements and for grassroots news
> channels such as freshmeat. release notes should describe a project's
> purpose and aims, how people can get involved, list sources of
> information and give some general information about the project's

Craig Russell
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: [VOTE WITHDRAWN] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <Ap...@Stolsvik.com>.
James Strachan wrote:
> On 11/21/06, Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com> wrote:
>> What do you do when it comes time to vote? Clearly, you can't be voting
>> on the RC build, as that's not the final build (the final build doesn't
>> include RC in the name, does it?), and it's my understanding that only
>> final bits are voted on.
>
> Have a look at the recent number of RC's we've had to do to get our
> releases in shape...
>
> http://people.apache.org/~chirino/
>
> basically we create a maven repo for each RC but the artifacts inside
> them are all 'the final build'  with no RC in their name - then if the
> vote goes well, the RC is just moved to the right place. That way we
> don't have to do another build after the vote - but folks can still
> compare each RC etc.

($0.002 from me):

I positively don't like this way.

If I download this build, and unpack it and use it, I have _no idea_ at
a later stager whether it was the proper release or a RC. There might
even be several rounds of RCs, in which case the problem is even worse -
and the final flaw for me using and potentially distributing the wrong
version might be hefty.

I think that a proper RC should be voted on, in which case all jars,
MANIFESTs, tarballs, and toplevel unpack dirs should have a _clear_ RC
in their name, and then if the vote goes through, a _direct rebuild_ of
the release with the content of the preferably _sole file_ denoting the
release's name changed from "<blah>-RC" to "<blah>" should be done and
posted on the official places.

IMHO, of course.

Endre.

Re: [VOTE WITHDRAWN] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: [VOTE WITHDRAWN] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 11/26/06, Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com> wrote:
> So out of curiosity, do you do this just for the incubator release vote,
> or do you go through the same process for the votes on your PMC list as
> well? If the same, do you anticipate going through the same process for
> votes after incubation?

We now use the same process for both. We've tried a few permutations
over the years but for maven 2 releases this seems to work the best so
far.
--

James
-------

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.
So out of curiosity, do you do this just for the incubator release vote,
or do you go through the same process for the votes on your PMC list as
well? If the same, do you anticipate going through the same process for
votes after incubation?

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
BEA Systems, Inc.

by email and then delete it.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
On 11/21/06, Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com> wrote:
> We're doing something pretty much the same; just not calling it
> RC-anything.
>
> What do you do when it comes time to vote? Clearly, you can't be voting
> on the RC build, as that's not the final build (the final build doesn't
> include RC in the name, does it?), and it's my understanding that only
> final bits are voted on.

We just upload the final binaries (without the RC in the name) to a
directory with an RC-x name in it.  Once a given RC-x is finalized we
copy it's contents to their final resting place.

> -Patrick
>
> --
> Patrick Linskey
> BEA Systems, Inc.

> by email and then delete it.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: [VOTE WITHDRAWN] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 11/22/06, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I just don't like that changes to the bits based on an
> internal review should change the name of the release.

(there are several reasons why some projects choose to do this but
here's one of mine)

very occasionally such jars escape into the wild and begin to live a
life of their own. sometime very active lives. under these
circumstances it's not uncommon for them to cause lots trouble later.
unique names restrict the damage done.

an academic point in this case, i agree. not trying to persuade
anyone, just offering some background.

- robert

Re: [VOTE WITHDRAWN] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Hiram,

Thanks for the clarification. I understand now how you have decided
to organize your releases.

Craig

On Nov 25, 2006, at 8:38 AM, Hiram Chirino wrote:

> I think you misunderstood me.  I agree that release name on the
> release artifact should not change.  But there should be some simple
> mechanism so that folks can tell which internal review version you are
> talking about.  We just choose to do that by uploading each rebuild of
> the same artifact to a new directory.
>
> On 11/21/06, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, I just don't like that changes to the bits based on an
>> internal review should change the name of the release.
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> On Nov 21, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Hiram Chirino wrote:
>>
>> > To avoid those issue ActiveMQ tends to do a build of say ActiveMQ
>> > 4.1.0 and we drop it in
>> > a directory called ActiveMQ-4.1.0-RC1 and then if during the vote
>> > something happens, we rebuild and 4.1.0 again and put it in
>> directory
>> > called RC2 etc.
>> >
>> > So I would guess you guys just need to put out at  0.9.6-incubating
>> > RC2

>> only be

>> voting on

>> yet;

>> although I'd

>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> > Hiram
>> >
>> > Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

>> Craig Russell
>> jdo
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!
>>

> --
> Regards,
> Hiram
>
> Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Craig Russell

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
I think you misunderstood me.  I agree that release name on the
release artifact should not change.  But there should be some simple
mechanism so that folks can tell which internal review version you are
talking about.  We just choose to do that by uploading each rebuild of
the same artifact to a new directory.

On 11/21/06, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I just don't like that changes to the bits based on an
> internal review should change the name of the release.
>
> Craig
>
> On Nov 21, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Hiram Chirino wrote:
>
> > To avoid those issue ActiveMQ tends to do a build of say ActiveMQ
> > 4.1.0 and we drop it in
> > a directory called ActiveMQ-4.1.0-RC1 and then if during the vote
> > something happens, we rebuild and 4.1.0 again and put it in directory
> > called RC2 etc.
> >
> > So I would guess you guys just need to put out at  0.9.6-incubating
> > RC2

> >> I don't understand the confusion... 0.9.6 hasn't been released yet;
> >> nobody should be confused by a vote for it.
> >>
> >> Personally, I don't much care what we do at this point, although I'd
> >> prefer a 0.9.7 to 0.9.6.1, since there is no 0.9.6 currently and
> >> 0.9.6.1
> >> implies that one does.
> >>
> >> However, I *would* like clear guidance about what to do. Is this
> >> going
> >> to cause problems with incubator approval of the 0.9.6 vote that's
> >> currently running on the OpenJPA mailing list?
> >>
> >> -Patrick
> >> __
> >> Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may
> >> contain
> >> information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and
> >> affiliated
> >> entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted
> >> and/or
> >> legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the
> >> individual
> >> or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended
> >> recipient,
> >> and have received this message in error, please immediately return
> >> this
> >> by email and then delete it.

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Hiram
> >
> > Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

> Craig Russell
> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: [VOTE WITHDRAWN] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Sorry, I just don't like that changes to the bits based on an
internal review should change the name of the release.

Craig

On Nov 21, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Hiram Chirino wrote:

> To avoid those issue ActiveMQ tends to do a build of say ActiveMQ
> 4.1.0 and we drop it in
> a directory called ActiveMQ-4.1.0-RC1 and then if during the vote
> something happens, we rebuild and 4.1.0 again and put it in directory
> called RC2 etc.
>
> So I would guess you guys just need to put out at  0.9.6-incubating
> RC2

>> > then publish
>> > aren't new releases.
>> >
>> > Yes, but it is confusing if you look at the thread about voting on
>> > 0.9.6. If 0.9.7 isn't available. Can we have 0.9.6.1 as the next
>> > iteration of the 0.9.6 release?
>>
>> I don't understand the confusion... 0.9.6 hasn't been released yet;
>> nobody should be confused by a vote for it.
>>
>> Personally, I don't much care what we do at this point, although I'd
>> prefer a 0.9.7 to 0.9.6.1, since there is no 0.9.6 currently and
>> 0.9.6.1
>> implies that one does.
>>
>> However, I *would* like clear guidance about what to do. Is this
>> going
>> to cause problems with incubator approval of the 0.9.6 vote that's
>> currently running on the OpenJPA mailing list?
>>
>> -Patrick
>> __
>> contain
>> information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and
>> affiliated
>> entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted
>> and/or
>> legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the
>> individual
>> or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended
>> recipient,
>> and have received this message in error, please immediately return
>> this
>> by email and then delete it.

> Regards,
> Hiram
>
> Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Craig Russell

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
To avoid those issue ActiveMQ tends to do a build of say ActiveMQ
4.1.0 and we drop it in
a directory called ActiveMQ-4.1.0-RC1 and then if during the vote
something happens, we rebuild and 4.1.0 again and put it in directory
called RC2 etc.

So I would guess you guys just need to put out at  0.9.6-incubating RC2

On 11/21/06, Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I agree with Marc that we should continue to iterate on the
> > > 0.9.6-incubating release until we get it right. It would only be
> > > confusing if we actually publish the incubating release and
> > then publish
> > > another 0.9.6. But iterations on the release candidate
> > aren't new releases.
> >
> > Yes, but it is confusing if you look at the thread about voting on
> > 0.9.6. If 0.9.7 isn't available. Can we have 0.9.6.1 as the next
> > iteration of the 0.9.6 release?
>
> I don't understand the confusion... 0.9.6 hasn't been released yet;
> nobody should be confused by a vote for it.
>
> Personally, I don't much care what we do at this point, although I'd
> prefer a 0.9.7 to 0.9.6.1, since there is no 0.9.6 currently and 0.9.6.1
> implies that one does.
>
> However, I *would* like clear guidance about what to do. Is this going
> to cause problems with incubator approval of the 0.9.6 vote that's
> currently running on the OpenJPA mailing list?
>
> -Patrick
> by email and then delete it.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: [VOTE WITHDRAWN] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Let the podling come up with what they call 0.9.6, let it give clear
> information to what that means, and the incubator PMC votes from there.

Agreed - I was making an observation.

> Patrick Linskey wrote:
>>> Yes, but it is confusing if you look at the thread about voting on
>>> 0.9.6. If 0.9.7 isn't available. Can we have 0.9.6.1 as the next
>>> iteration of the 0.9.6 release?
>>
>> I don't understand the confusion... 0.9.6 hasn't been released yet;
>> nobody should be confused by a vote for it.

If you have openjpa-0.9.6-incubating.tar.gz and openjpa-0.9.6-incubating.tar.gz
- that's where the confusion arises... sure you replaced the package, but it's
the same filename 'over here'.  That's the rational for not reusing the same
tarball name, or naming the package before-the-vote as -RC#.  Either way, there
is no confusion between the first second third or final/official iteration :)

As Geir says - let the openjpa-dev folk decide, this was just food for thought.

Re: [VOTE WITHDRAWN] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
I don't think so.

Let the podling come up with what they call 0.9.6, let it give clear
information to what that means, and the incubator PMC votes from there.

This is getting counterproductive.

geir

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Upayavira,

On Nov 21, 2006, at 3:35 PM, Upayavira wrote:

> Patrick Linskey wrote:
>> ...snipped...
>> However, I *would* like clear guidance about what to do. Is this
>> going
>> to cause problems with incubator approval of the 0.9.6 vote that's
>> currently running on the OpenJPA mailing list?
>
> In the end, all you _NEED_ to do is what you are doing. Make a tgz,
> with a specific version. Make it available here. Start a vote.

Done that.

> What I'm talking about is more at the level of convenience. You are
> right that 1.9.6 hasn't been released. But a vote has taken place
> for it. Starting another vote for the same release number could
> make it harder for us to differentiate between the two vote threads.
>
> You could simply do [VOTE] 2nd vote for 0.9.6. That would
> successfully differentiate the vote.

Yeah, that's what Marc has done. The subject line for the current
vote is: [VOTE][THIRD ATTEMPT] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release

Should be clear enough that this is the THIRD, yes, THIRD ATTEMPT.
Don't know why all the yelling but bygones. ;-)

Craig

> That's all I'm _asking_ for (not demanding).
>
> HTH.
>
> Regards, Upayavira

Craig Russell

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Nov 21, 2006, at 10:52 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:
> However, I *would* like clear guidance about what to do.

Do what makes most sense for your developers and your users. It
sounds like you know what that is.

> Is this going
> to cause problems with incubator approval of the 0.9.6 vote that's
> currently running on the OpenJPA mailing list?

No way. As long as you explain the situation so people can do an
informed vote you should be fine.

The day the incubator starts dictating version numbers to podlings is
when I run away screaming :-).

LSD

RE: [VOTE WITHDRAWN] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Patrick,

> Personally, I don't much care what we do at this point, although I'd
> prefer a 0.9.7 to 0.9.6.1

> However, I *would* like clear guidance about what to do.

Figuring this out is something that the PPMC ought to deal with.  You have
had several suggestions made to you, and one of the things that *I'd* like
to see is how you folks deal with it.

FWIW, I, personally, do not really care what outcome you come to, so much as
I care to see how you come to a conclusion.  Think of me as the Philosophy
Professor from school who doesn't care which side of the debate you argue,
but does care about the argument, itself.  :-)

	--- Noel

RE: [VOTE WITHDRAWN] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I agree with Marc that we should continue to iterate on the
> 0.9.6-incubating release until we get it right. It would only be
> confusing if we actually publish the incubating release and then publish
> another 0.9.6. But iterations on the release candidate aren't new releases.

Yes, but it is confusing if you look at the thread about voting on
0.9.6. If 0.9.7 isn't available. Can we have 0.9.6.1 as the next
iteration of the 0.9.6 release?

Upayavira

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
William

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
For the purposes of closure, I am officially withdrawing this vote
for the openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release while we make the changes
that Robert mentions.

We expect that a new vote will be started for the 0.9.6-incubating
release tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks very much to Robert for all the useful feedback and guidance
while we work towards getting an initial release of OpenJPA out the
door!

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Re: [VOTE] publish openjpa 0.9.6-incubating release

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
Robert-

We'll correct these issues asap. Once corrected artifacts are
uploaded, I assume it will necessary to re-start the vote on the open-
jpa-dev list before re-starting the vote here. Please correct me if I
am wrong.

On Nov 16, 2006, at 12:57 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 11/16/06, Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> The OpenJPA incubator community voted on and has approved a proposal
>> to release OpenJPA 0.9.6-incubating. Pursuant to the Releases section
>> of the Incubation Policy (http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
>> Incubation_Policy.html#Releases ) we would now like to request the
>> permission of the Incubator PMC to publish the release zip file on
>> the openjpa download page (http://cwiki.apache.org/openjpa/
>> downloads.html).
>
> i have some issues i'd like to see fixed plus less important issues,
> some questions i'd like answered and some comments just FYI
>
> -- issues (i would like to see fixed) --
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/openjpa.html has some unresolved
> copyright issues. i trust that this just means that the status page
> hasn't been updated.

I believe that the page just needs to be updated. I'll follow-up on
the open-jpa-dev list to find out how to go about doing this.

> [...]

> distributions. creating additional artifacts is quick and easy so this
> is an easy way to make life just a little easier for some users.

We briefly discussed this on the open-jpa-list. While it is certainly
de-facto convention to release under both .zip and .tar.gz packaging
types, the only compelling reason to do so appears to be that UNIX
executable permissions are lost in the zip format. Since we don't
have any executables in the openjpa distribution, there doesn't seem
to be much reason to have additional packaging formats.

We'd be interested in knowing if there are other advantages to having
multiple packaging mechanisms, though.

> i personally prefer the source and binary distributions to unpack to
> different directories but the overlay style (both unpack to the same
> directory forming a combined product) is also good if a little effort

This request was also made on the open-jpa-dev list. I've gone ahead
and made the source assembly unpack to a different parent directory.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
 From my experience on the incubator list, this is probably the most
complete critique that we will get. So I think we're done once Robert
is happy.

Craig

On Nov 16, 2006, at 2:16 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone else have any showstopping concerns? It'd be good to know
> about them now, so that we can fix all of them and then re-run the
> three-day vote on the OpenJPA list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Patrick
>
> --
> Patrick Linskey
> BEA Systems, Inc.

> _
> contain
> affiliated
> and/or
> individual
> recipient,
> this
> by email and then delete it.

Craig Russell

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.
Hi,

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 11/16/06, Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org> wrote:

> The OpenJPA incubator community voted on and has approved a proposal
> to release OpenJPA 0.9.6-incubating. Pursuant to the Releases section
> of the Incubation Policy (http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
> Incubation_Policy.html#Releases ) we would now like to request the
> permission of the Incubator PMC to publish the release zip file on
> the openjpa download page (http://cwiki.apache.org/openjpa/
> downloads.html).

i have some issues i'd like to see fixed plus less important issues,
some questions i'd like answered and some comments just FYI

-- issues (i would like to see fixed) --

http://incubator.apache.org/projects/openjpa.html has some unresolved
copyright issues. i trust that this just means that the status page
hasn't been updated.

openjpa distributes some jars in the binary. NOTICE.txt is ok (but
note http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html now asks that apache
collective copyright is included) but their licenses are not included
in LICENSE.txt. see
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/examples/LICENSE for example.

source distribution is missing LICENSE, NOTICE and DISCLAIMER at the
top level. (these probably need to be commit into svn.)

-- minor issues --

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/openjpa/tags/0.9.6-incubating/src/site/apt/*.apt
lack license headers. apt supports comments so these should probably
have headers.

-- questions --

i can't find LICENSE, NOTICE or DISCLAIMER in
openjpa-all-0.9.6-incubating.jar. did you intend to prevent official
distribution through maven repositories?

(RAT)

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/openjpa/tags/0.9.6-incubating/openjpa-jdbc/src/main/resources/org/apache/openjpa/jdbc/schema/schemas-doctype.rsrc
has no license header. is this a generated file?

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/openjpa/tags/0.9.6-incubating/openjpa-persistence/src/main/resources/org/apache/openjpa/persistence/orm-xsd.rsrc