Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org> on 2020/12/17 08:54:40 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Apache Gobblin (Incubating) as a TLP

Hi all,

After a discussion with the community [1], a positive vote
result [2], and a discussion with the IPMC [7], we believe
Apache Gobblin (Incubating) is ready for graduation to a TLP,
and we'd like to call for a Vote.

Please vote on the resolution pasted below to graduate
Apache Gobblin (Incubating) from the incubator to a TLP:

[ ] +1, Graduate Apache Gobblin from the Incubator.
[ ] +0, Don't care.
[ ] -1, Don't graduate Apache Gobblin from the Incubator (provide details)

To list a few of the community's achievements:

- 1700+ contributions from 149 contributors
- 4 releases under 3 different release managers
- 5 new committers invited, including 2 new PPMC members (all accepted)
- Diverse committers and PPMCs (from 9 companies/institutes)
- New Apache website setup [3]
- Issue tracking migrated to Jira [4]
- Dev conversations moved to dev@gobblin.incubator.org
- Apache Gobblin name search has been approved [5]
- Assessed ourselves against the Apache Project maturity matrix [6]
- We have built a meritocratic and open collaborative process (the Apache
way)

[1] https://s.apache.org/le17y
[2] https://s.apache.org/q4ug6
[3] https://gobblin.incubator.apache.org/
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/GOBBLIN/issues/
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-131
[6]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GOBBLIN/ASF+Maturity+Evaluation
[7] https://s.apache.org/1gt3s

The vote will remain open for at least 72 hours.

If approved by the Apache Incubator PMC members, the proposed
resolution will be submitted to the Board of Directors for their
consideration.

Thanks,
Abhishek

Establish the Apache Gobblin Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to a distributed data integration framework that simplifies
common aspects of big data integration such as data ingestion,
replication, organization and lifecycle management for both streaming
and batch data ecosystems.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache Gobblin Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Gobblin Project be and hereby is responsible
for the creation and maintenance of software related to a distributed
data integration framework that simplifies common aspects of big data
integration such as data ingestion, replication, organization and
lifecycle management for both streaming and batch data ecosystems; and
be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Gobblin" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache Gobblin
Project, and to have primary responsibility for management of the
projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache Gobblin
Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Gobblin Project:

 * Abhishek Tiwari      <ab...@apache.org>
 * Hung Tran             <hu...@apache.org>
 * Issac Buenrostro     <ib...@apache.org>
 * Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@apache.org>
 * Kishore G            <ki...@apache.org>
 * Lorand Bendig        <lb...@apache.org>
 * Olivier Lamy         <ol...@apache.org>
 * Owen O'Malley        <om...@apache.org>
 * Sahil Takiar         <st...@apache.org>
 * Shirshanka Das       <sh...@apache.org>
 * Sudarshan Vasudevan  <su...@apache.org>
 * Tamás Németh         <tr...@apache.org>
 * Yinan Li             <li...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Abhishek Tiwari be
appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Gobblin, to serve in
accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors
and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement,
removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Gobblin Project be and hereby is tasked with
the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Gobblin
podling; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Gobblin podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
discharged.

[RESULT] [VOTE] Graduate Apache Gobblin (Incubating) as a TLP

Posted by Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org>.
The vote is now closed, and has passed with:
Nine +1 binding votes and no -1 or 0 votes.

+1 (binding):
Dave Fisher
Owen O'Malley
Jean-Baptiste Onofre
Olivier Lamy
Ryan Blue
Justin Mclean
Ming Wen
Willem Jiang
Furkan KAMACI

+1 (non-binding)
Juan Pan
Lidong Dai

Thanks a lot for taking the time to vote!  We'll submit the resolution to
the
board.

Regards,
Abhishek, on behalf of the Apache Gobblin (Incubating) community

Posted by Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Gobblin (Incubating) as a TLP

Posted by lidong dai <da...@gmail.com>.
 +1 (non-binding)

Best Regards
---------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
+1 (binding)

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 2:31 PM Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> >  * Shirshanka Das       <sh...@apache.org>
> >  * Sudarshan Vasudevan  <su...@apache.org>
> >  * Tamás Németh         <tr...@apache.org>
> >  * Yinan Li             <li...@apache.org>
> >
> > NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Abhishek Tiwari be
> > appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Gobblin, to serve in
> > accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors
> > and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement,
> > removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
> > it further
> >
> > RESOLVED, that the Apache Gobblin Project be and hereby is tasked with
> > the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Gobblin
> > podling; and be it further
> >
> > RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
> > Gobblin podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter

Ryan Blue
Software Engineer
Netflix

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Gobblin (Incubating) as a TLP

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Olivier Lamy

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Gobblin (Incubating) as a TLP

Posted by Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>.
Hi,

My +1 (non-binding), Good luck.

   Juan Pan (Trista)

Senior DBA & PMC of Apache ShardingSphere
E-mail: panjuan@apache.org

On 12/21/2020 06:44,Dave Fisher<wa...@apache.org> wrote:
Abhishek,

(1) Justin is the VP, Incubator.

(2) we are voting to recommend graduation to the Board.

(3) The next Board meeting is almost one month from now. There is plenty of time.

(4) Justin is also a Board member.

I voted at the beginning, but I did take the time to review Gobblin.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 20, 2020, at 6:45 AM, Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org> wrote:

Hi Justin,

I know that you are an active IPMC member and are certainly speaking from
your experience and wisdom.
However, the steps that I have followed were modeled per the graduation
guide and numerous past IPMC vote threads:

Graduation Guide:
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#the_recommendation_vote
(please refer to the calendar, it says that 'let vote run for 72 hours')

DataFu: https://s.apache.org/wal8o passed by 3 +1 IPMC votes
SINGA: https://s.apache.org/qao4e passed by 4 +1 IPMC votes

So, I found it reasonable for me to close the vote thread given:
- Discuss thread in IPMC did not generate any objections or pending todos
(that ran for 72 hours)
- Vote thread in IPMC received 3 +1 votes (that ran for 72 hours)
- All mentors are onboard and have voted positively

Having said that, given the time of year and what is happening around the
world, I will reopen the vote thread for 48 more hours.
Please let me know if that works, or you have alternate recommendations?

Regards,
Abhishek

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 3:18 AM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

Hi,

I closed the vote after 72 hours of starting the vote (which was after 72
hours of discussion time). Are you recommending adding more time to the
vote?

72 hours is just a guideline for release votes not for graduation.
Generally you want to get consensus from the entire IPMC and your mentors
for graduation. Given the time of the year and what is happening in the
world you might want to give IPMC members a little more time is all I’m
saying.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Gobblin (Incubating) as a TLP

Posted by Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

I saw your detailed email on the Discuss thread, I will reply there and we
will try to rectify the identified issues.

Abhishek

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1 (binding).

Kind Regards,
Furkan KAMACI

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding.

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.
+1 binding

Posted by Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

We have tried to address and resolve the issues that you had identified,
please review the discuss thread: https://s.apache.org/4zde4
and let us know if it looks ok to you?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the inputs, review and vote. I really appreciate it.
I have reopened the vote to give other IPMC members more time.

Thanks,
Abhishek

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Abhishek,

Posted by Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org>.
The vote has passed with three +1 binding votes and no -1 or 0 votes.

+1 (binding):
Dave Fisher
Owen O'Malley
Jean-Baptiste Onofre

Thanks for taking the time to vote!  We'll submit the resolution to the

Posted by Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

The vote has been re-opened and extended for IPMC members who may still
want to review and vote per the discussion here: https://s.apache.org/82wcs

Regards,
Abhishek

Posted by Abhishek Tiwari <ab...@apache.org>.