Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Geir Pettersen <ge...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/19 16:14:02 UTC

UIMA for simple dictionary/matching functionality

I need to create a dictionary/matcher API for my project

The dictionary supports managing entries (words and phrases) and the
matcher processes text and returns all dictionary entries that was found in
the particular text.

I discovered the Apache UIMA project which supports annonating text based
on dictionaries.

Can anyone please answer if they think UIMA is appropriate for my use (if
not, any suggestions on alternatives)? If yes, any pointers would be highly
appreciated as I find the api a bit overwhelming.

Thank you very much,

Geir Pettersen

RE: UIMA for simple dictionary/matching functionality

Posted by jo...@thomsonreuters.com.
Hi Geir,

Either UIMA or GATE sound suitable choices for this.

UIMA is application neutral and faster, GATE provides already (two types of) so-called "gazetteer processing resources" which do what you want, by the sound of it.

Jochen

--
Dr. Jochen Leidner
Research Scientist