Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2009/12/04 21:16:32 UTC

[PROPOSAL] give wiki write access to any existing ASF committer

We've not really discussed who should have access to the comdev
resources. I'd like to propose that, in the short term, we grant write
access to anyone who has earned committership on any project in the
ASF (including incubating projects).

My reasoning is that we need to generate (and collate) clear
documentation about the ASF way of doing things. The best way to do
this is probably to let anyone who knows the ASF to contribute.

I don't believe this is a good idea in the long term, or even medium
term, as freely edited wikis usually result in chaos and incomplete
articles. These means we will need a fair bit of gardening. For pure
wikis this is not a problem, but for us this becomes our website with
no intermediate staging. Once we feel that we are in danger of losing
control we can think about creating a separate wiki space for free
access.

Thoughts? Does madness lie in that direction? If so what would be a
better approach?

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk

Re: [PROPOSAL] give wiki write access to any existing ASF committer

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Ross Gardler
<ro...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2009/12/4 Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>:
>> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Kathey Marsden
>> <km...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> I think it is fine and just post a warning that our Wiki is our website so
>>> garden as you go along and try to keep things relatively tidy and welcoming
>>> to newcomers.
>>>

>> Making the wiki watched by a user that have our mailing list could
>> make us receive notifications when pages are added/edited and help us
>> closely monitor the changes on the wiki/website.
>
> Good idea, do you know how to do that?
>
> Ross

Done.
Moderators, please allow the confluence e-mails to get trough.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: [PROPOSAL] give wiki write access to any existing ASF committer

Posted by Ross Gardler <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Friday 04 December 2009 21:16:32 Ross Gardler wrote:
> I don't believe this is a good idea in the long term, or even medium
> term, as freely edited wikis usually result in chaos and incomplete
> articles.

I don't know whether more restrictive access control prevents that from
happening. I think it is more important to have core users peridically going
over the wiki pages and throwing out what does not fit in, is incomplete or
outdated.

Isabel

--
  |\      _,,,---,,_       Web:   <http://www.isabel-drost.de>
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xm...@spaceboyz.net>

Re: [PROPOSAL] give wiki write access to any existing ASF committer

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I like this. It's a way to suck in people with useful information to
contribute. Later, as you say, some trimming will reduce the number of
wandering fragmentary contributions.