Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Capilla Castillo, Esther" <ec...@indra.es> on 2008/04/25 14:20:50 UTC

Alternatively to DataHandler

Hi all,
I'm use Axis1 and Axis2 to implement a Web Services that it's
transferring large files (250Mb). I've been using DataHandler, but I
don't know if the object DataHandler is compatible with other
technologies other than Java (.net, C++)
Does anyone know if the object DataHandler is compatible with these
technologies? And if not consistent, what alternative do you offer?

Thanks
Esther

Re: Alternatively to DataHandler

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
The beauty of SOAP is that it hides your implementation from the
application on the other side of the wire. You can handle your binary
file your way (e.g., with a DataHandler), and the application on the
other side of the wire can handle it its way. The only thing that
matters is what goes on the wire.

So how are you sending it on the wire? Unfortunately, there are three
popular methods used to transfer binary data, and this is what causes
incompatibility. Are you using MTOM, SOAP with Attachments (SwA), or
DIME? I generally recommend using MTOM, although it's fairly new, and
many older systems don't support it. MTOM is partly compatible with
SwA -- i.e., an SwA system can read MTOM, although MTOM cannot
necessarily read SwA. DIME is completely different.

Older versions of Axis support SwA and DIME. The latest version Axis
1.4 also supports MTOM.
.NET 1.x (ASMX) with WSE supports DIME. .NET 2.0 with WSE supports
DIME and MTOM. .NET 3.x (WCF) supports MTOM.
Check your C++ SOAP engine to see what attachment systems it supports.

Anne