Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net> on 2008/09/03 18:16:30 UTC

torque 4

Probably I will have some time this weekend for starting the torque 4
stuff.
I'd try do the following

- create a torque 4 branch (leaving the torque 3 stuff as it is). My
suggested svn location would be /db/torque/torque4
- establish a maven 2 build
- inside the torque 4 branch, reorganize the project to not use
svn:externals any more:

/db/torque/torque4/trunk
 |-runtime
 |-generator
 |-maven-torque-plugin        <-- this would be the current maven2-plugin
 |-maven-parent               <-- parent for maven 2, corresponds to
current "common"
 |-site
 |-tutorial
 |-templates
 |-test

This layout would mean that one can check out the whole project and use it
as ide workspace. There would be no files in the trunk directory itself.

I'd not port the maven 1 plugin (maven 1 is dead) and also not village (we
want to remove village), although the ported runtime would still refer to
village.

Any objections, improvements, other suggestions ?

    Thomas

Re: torque 4

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.
> >> Into another branch? I'm not too happy with this. We will need to
> >> support Village for some time to come and I imagine a nightmare if we
> >> try to keep all the documentation together.
> >>

> > No, I'd treat it as external reference (like some commons library).
The
> > aim is to remove it anyway, so I do not think documentation is an
issue.

> Just for the record: I would not like to throw Village away too
> carelessly. Some of the classes are really useful and only need some
> tweaking. We would need something like Value, Record or Column anyway.

I would not use these classes internally in Torque. In my opinion, they
have problems (i.e. the Value class is not as good as converting Types as
the db drivers, and the record class approach uses too much memory
internally). I'd rather use the commons-dbutils approach internally.

That said, maybe it makes sense to still supply these objects to the user;
but I fear that support will be weak if the concept is not used internally
by Torque any more.

   Thomas

Re: torque 4

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Thomas Fischer wrote:
>> Into another branch? I'm not too happy with this. We will need to
>> support Village for some time to come and I imagine a nightmare if we
>> try to keep all the documentation together.
>>

> No, I'd treat it as external reference (like some commons library). The
> aim is to remove it anyway, so I do not think documentation is an issue.

Just for the record: I would not like to throw Village away too
carelessly. Some of the classes are really useful and only need some
tweaking. We would need something like Value, Record or Column anyway.

Bye, Thomas.

Re: torque 4

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.

Re: torque 4

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Thomas Fischer wrote:
> Probably I will have some time this weekend for starting the torque 4
> stuff.

Great. Please go ahead.

> This layout would mean that one can check out the whole project and use it
> as ide workspace. There would be no files in the trunk directory itself.

I agree on the layout but would like to suggest to provide everything
that is necessary for a complete module build in the trunk directory,
such as NOTICE, LICENSE, README and the main pom.xml. I'm no maven2
expert but I believe that is the way things work there.