Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org> on 2007/07/14 03:44:14 UTC

Testing against multiple JPA implementations

All-

I recently needed to test out the behavior of other JPA
implementations for a certain feature, and was annoyed at how long it
took to download and set up all the various dependencies and
configuration properties for Hibernate and TopLink, so I went ahead
and created a template project that will automatically download and
configure OpenJPA, TopLink, and Hibernate, and run a specific class
for each of them.

In case anyone else is ever interested in doing this, I've put the
template up at:

   http://people.apache.org/~mprudhom/interjpa.zip

All you need to do is unzip it, cd to "interjpa", and run "ant". All
of the logic is in the "build.xml" file, which uses the Maven ant
tasks to download the dependencies for each of the implementations.

Re: Testing against multiple JPA implementations

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
Jacek-

That's a very nice-looking article! It's a pity I don't read Polish.

If you were looking for another place to publish it, one good place
might be on the jave.net JEE wiki: http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/
Projects/JavaEESDKHowTo

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 7/14/07, Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org> wrote:

> I recently needed to test out the behavior of other JPA
> implementations for a certain feature, and was annoyed at how long it
> took to download and set up all the various dependencies and
> configuration properties for Hibernate and TopLink, so I went ahead
> and created a template project that will automatically download and
> configure OpenJPA, TopLink, and Hibernate, and run a specific class
> for each of them.

Hi Marc,

I've been doing the same with m2 and created pom.xml for OpenJPA,
TopLink and Hibernate with Apache Derby and PostgreSQL. I described it
in my article "Nauka Java Persistence z Apache Maven 2 i dostawcami
JPA: OpenJPA, Hibernate i TopLink" [1]. It's in Polish, but you may
find some useful snippets there. Some steps are no longer necessary
(e.g. Hibernate jars are in the m2 central repo) and the project has
since been updated.

I was wondering whether there'd be some interest in describing it in
more detail, but didn't know where to publish it. Any hints? It's
saved me plenty of time while digging into JPA details.

[1] http://www.jaceklaskowski.pl/wiki/Nauka_Java_Persistence_z_Apache_Maven_2_i_dostawcami_JPA:_OpenJPA%2C_Hibernate_i_TopLink

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski