Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Kasinath <ka...@visualsoft-tech.com> on 2002/03/29 16:40:14 UTC

Re: Struts and Velocity

Michael
You cam follow documentation provided with struts
distribution(struts-documentation.war). Deploy this war into any app server
or webserver and go thru.
Also you can download some of the public reviews posted in theserverside.com
for struts
Kasinath
Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
Or you can even be wierd like me and use your own techniques.

I for example am manipulating xhtml DOMs at the server side to insert
dynamic data from the beans (and other bean-like things that don't quite
follow the bean rules but look bean-ish (naughty naughty! ;->)).
Im getting to the stage where some rather sweeping changes to the xhtml
layout can be made without touching the source code. On the minus side,
there is quite a bit of initial work involved as one doesn't have the rich
set of struts tags to leverage when one starts.

This approach has the advantage of nicely seperating my layout and chrome
from the java code that inserts dynamic content. -Something JSP (which I
regard as the devils work!) doesn't really do no matter how many taglibs you
throw at it. (Also has the advantage that when an exception is thrown I can
actually find the bit of code that threw it and sometimes even work out
why!)

>From what Ive been told, Velocity (which is a proper template engine) on the
other hand is very good at this sort of thing and well worth a look at.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jerome Jacobsen <je...@gentootech.com>.
Ted,

Re: Struts and Velocity