Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Kalle Kilpi - BL <ka...@netbl.com> on 2003/08/22 10:40:23 UTC

xerces parser in an applet

Hello,

We have the same problems with Xerces (in applet-mode) that was posted
earlier by Philippe Buffet
(http://koala.ilog.fr/batik/mlists/batik-users/archives/msg03433.html).

Is there any other solution for this, than changing the parser?

Regards,
Kalle

PS. Thomas if you read this, I want to thank you for your help.
The batik communty is really impressive, it's hard to find as
good support even for commercial software.

Re: xerces parser in an applet

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Denis Bohm wrote:
> I have hit the same issue.  Searching the archives & web didn't turn up any
> obvious descriptions of how to specify to use Crimson in Batik.  Does anyone
> have a pointer to the details?

     There are two ways to specify the SAX2 parser Batik should use.
The first, which I think most people use is to provide the resource file:
org/apache/batik/util/resources/XMLResourceDescriptor.properties which should
have the following two properties:

org.xml.sax.driver = org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
org.w3c.css.sac.driver = org.apache.batik.css.parser.Parser

     The first is the one you probably want to change.  I don't think you
need to change the file Batik provides just make sure that your copy of
the file appears earlier on the class path.

     The other way to specify the parser is to provide a custom subclass of
org.apache.batik.bridge.UserAgent that provides the method:

     String getXMLParserClassName()

     The default implementation get's it's value from the afore mentioned
Resource, this works for both transcoders and the JSVGCanvas.

     For Transcoders only you can provide a Transcoding hint:
batik.transcoder.XMLAbstractTranscoder.KEY_XML_PARSER_CLASSNAME

     That can also be used to provide the parser to use.

Posted by Denis Bohm <de...@fireflydesign.com>.
I have hit the same issue.  Searching the archives & web didn't turn up any
obvious descriptions of how to specify to use Crimson in Batik.  Does anyone
have a pointer to the details?

Thanks,
  Denis

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Kalle Kilpi - BL wrote:
> Hello Thomas,
>
> I'm just a bit concerned about the known problems with Batik and latest
> versions of Crinsom.
> I think that adopting an older version of a parser, knowing that the latest
> versions aren't working,
> isn't an ideal solution, but because also Xerces seems to have some problems
> (at least this)
> keeping it probably wouldn't be any better alternative.

     Well if you want to deploy Batik in an applet I guess Crimson is
the way to go (especially since for JDK 1.4 it's bundled with the JRE).
It might be worth bringing this up with the Xerces group, as I said this
is their issue not ours (we have tried to at least keep the applet
option open, even if we don't actively advocate it) - I don't see why
an XML parser would _have_ to access stuff outside of Applet permissions.

     Anyway good luck with this.

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.