Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com> on 2013/05/01 22:54:23 UTC

JVM seg fault in HBase region server

Hi,

I am seeing the following which is a JVM segfault:

hbase-regionser[28734]: segfault at 8 ip 00007f269bcc307e sp
00007fff50f7e638 error 4 in libc-2.15.so[7f269bc51000+1b5000]

Benoit Tsuna reported a similar issue a while back -
http://blog.tsunanet.net/2011/05/jvm-u24-segfault-in-clearerr-on-jaunty.html

I wonder if there was ever a resolution on the issue. We are running java
version "1.6.0_38"
, ubuntu precise 12.04 - kernel 3.2. The libc version from the above line
seems to be 2.15.

I wonder if people have seen this in the past and if yes, were they able to
resolve it and if yes, then how ? Was it a VM upgrade, a kernel upgrade or
a libc upgrade ?

Thanks
Varun

Re: JVM seg fault in HBase region server

Posted by Graeme Wallace <gr...@farecompare.com>.
Over the years, we've found that one of the causes of spontaneuous JVM
combustion is bad memory. Can you run a memory check on your machine ?
Its not always the case though, and sometimes we end up changing JDK
versions and that fixes it.

G.

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 7:37 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-marc@spaggiari.org

--
Graeme Wallace
CTO

Re: JVM seg fault in HBase region server

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Hi Varun,

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.
Benoit saw this issue with u24 looking from the blog.

Is anyone running older than 1.6.0_38 and not seeing this ?

Thanks
Varun

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.
Did you have the jvm error logging enabled -XX:ErrorLog or something and if
yes, did that spew anything out ?

Thanks
Varun

Posted by tsuna <ts...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: JVM seg fault in HBase region server

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Maybe try java 1.6.0_43 ?

Cheers

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.