Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org> on 2001/12/30 19:03:28 UTC

httpd.conf Qs

Hey, I have two questions here:

1) I'm working on making sure that directives in the Apache 1.3.x
httpd.conf are sync'd to the 2.0 httpd.conf.  Can anyone confirm a need
for this? If so, I'll send a patch that does this.

2) Quite a while ago, Martin committed PNG format analogs of the GIFs in
the icons directory. Was the original plan to move from the GIF format to
PNG for these? Should I include a patch for httpd.conf to do this, as
well? Quite a bit of space would be reduced in the 2.0 tar ball if GIF
were elimintated.

/dale

Re: httpd.conf Qs

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@ebuilt.com>.
On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 01:03:28PM -0500, Dale Ghent wrote:

> 2) Quite a while ago, Martin committed PNG format analogs of the GIFs in
> the icons directory. Was the original plan to move from the GIF format to
> PNG for these? Should I include a patch for httpd.conf to do this, as
> well? Quite a bit of space would be reduced in the 2.0 tar ball if GIF
> were elimintated.

No, GIF will still be the default for quite some time.

....Roy

RE: httpd.conf Qs

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

> From: Dale Ghent [mailto:daleg@elemental.org]

> What I'm more-or-less referring to are the Language-related stuff and
> <IfModule> containers (as well as bringing up some of the more informative
> comments and such from 1.3.)
>
> Apache 2.0's httpd.conf is based off of 1.3.9's, and there have been a few
> changes to the 1.3 httpd.conf since then that are cross-version compatable
> and were not up-ported to the one in the 2.0 repository. I seek to
> "sanitize" the two in that regard so to make the 2.0 conf as similar to
> the 1.3 conf as much as possible.
>
> I think it's a relatively small important thing to make sure of before 2.0
> is released in GA. It'll give those who notice these things a good feeling
> :)

Actually, I think the 2.0 config has diverged quite a bit from 1.3 in terms
of comments/etc.  Most of it is intentional.  If you have specific
suggestions on things that need to be changed in 2.0, that is very welcome.
(Although the contents of the default config can be something of a religious
issue.)

Joshua.

Re: httpd.conf Qs

Posted by Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org>.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Eli Marmor wrote:

| Dale Ghent wrote:
|
| > Hey, I have two questions here:
| >
| > 1) I'm working on making sure that directives in the Apache 1.3.x
| > httpd.conf are sync'd to the 2.0 httpd.conf.  Can anyone confirm a need
| > for this? If so, I'll send a patch that does this.
|
| httpd.conf of 2.0 is not backward compatible with 1.3; For example,
| "Port" is not there anymore. The best way to learn the differences, is
| to look at the following Covalent's script:

I certianly am aware of that, and other depricated directives, as well.

Re: httpd.conf Qs

Posted by Eli Marmor <ma...@netmask.it>.

	http://apache.covalent.net/tools/downloads/convconf.pl
--