Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Daniel <em...@7thfire.com> on 2006/04/23 04:22:55 UTC

panic: memory wrap at lib//Embperl.pm line 108.

I've compiled Embperl 2.2.0 on FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE without using support
for mod_perl and XALAN.

I compiled it successfully running gmake.

make test failed with:

PERL_DL_NONLAZY=0 /usr/bin/perl "-Iblib/lib" "-Iblib/arch" test.pl

/usr/home/debonair/tmp/Embperl-2.2.0/blib/lib/Embperl.pm line 108.
Compilation failed in require at test.pl line 1809.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at test.pl line 1809.

Test terminated with fatal error
Use of uninitialized value in string ne at test.pl line 1209.
gmake: *** [test_dynamic] Error 1

Any ideas?

--
"One certain effect of war is to diminish freedom of expression. Patriotism
becomes the order of the day and those who question the war are seen as

RE: panic: memory wrap at lib//Embperl.pm line 108.

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
> > I've compiled Embperl 2.2.0 on FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE without using
> > support for mod_perl and XALAN.
> >
> > I compiled it successfully running gmake.
> >
> > make test failed with:
> >
> > PERL_DL_NONLAZY=0 /usr/bin/perl "-Iblib/lib" "-Iblib/arch" test.pl

> > /usr/home/debonair/tmp/Embperl-2.2.0/blib/lib/Embperl.pm line 108.
> > Compilation failed in require at test.pl line 1809.
> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at test.pl line 1809.
> >
> > Test terminated with fatal error
> > Use of uninitialized value in string ne at test.pl line 1209.
> > gmake: *** [test_dynamic] Error 1

We had a report on the mailing list at the end of last year from somebody
who has the same error on FreeBSD. Basicly this error message mean that Perl
runs out of memory. We did several things, but never solved it. You can read
about it in the thread starting around this message:
http://www2.ecos.de/~mailarc/embperl/2005-12/msg00013.html

I am using Embperl 2.1 on FreeBSD 4.3, but I don't have any newer system to
test.

I would be very happy if we could find the problem, but currently I don't
have any further ideas, beside the ones you can read in the thread above.

Gerald

** Virus checked by BB-5000 Mailfilter **

Re: panic: memory wrap at lib//Embperl.pm line 108.

Posted by Daniel <em...@7thfire.com>.
On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 07:22:55PM -0700, Daniel wrote:
> I've compiled Embperl 2.2.0 on FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE without using support
> for mod_perl and XALAN.
>
> I compiled it successfully running gmake.
>
> make test failed with:
>
> PERL_DL_NONLAZY=0 /usr/bin/perl "-Iblib/lib" "-Iblib/arch" test.pl

> /usr/home/debonair/tmp/Embperl-2.2.0/blib/lib/Embperl.pm line 108.
> Compilation failed in require at test.pl line 1809.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at test.pl line 1809.
>
> Test terminated with fatal error
> Use of uninitialized value in string ne at test.pl line 1209.
> gmake: *** [test_dynamic] Error 1

I've not solved this problem yet, but I did notice that on linux when
compiling with gcc 2.9.5 you have to remove the -march=pentium3
-fprefetch-loop-arrays optimization flags from the makefile.