Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com> on 2013/11/17 19:55:44 UTC

Mobile TextInput Implementation status

Hi,

Here is a brief status of the implementation of Mobile Text Input, along with some questions:

Implementation overview:
The change is mainly on the class StyleableStageText, which now takes the opposite approach than the previous one:
  - display proxy image bitmap by default
  - display StageText only when editing
StageTextInputSkin/StageTextAreaSkin has been modified to use this class

- to make it easier to change StageTextInputSkin internal  StyleableStageText component, the variable textDisplay is now of type IStyleableEditText

Behavior changes:
  - scrolling and overlapping of text is well managed , as it always uses the bitmap proxy, which is a Flex component:  all the text inputs are scrolling
  - text occluding while editing is not managed yet, which means the edited text may overlap other UIs. (TO BE DONE)

Testing:
  - tested on iPad 2 and iPad 3:  TI in scrolling forms, TI in callouts
  - *NEEDS TO BE TESTED ON ANDROID*
  - memory consumption tests yet to be done
  - mustella test yet to be run

Questions:
- Can someone please test on Android ?
- I have chosen to directly  replace StyleableStageText.
Maybe I can also leave the old StyleableStageText with a different name, so that it can be used in case there is an issue with the new one ? or the other way?
Now that it is an interface, it's easy to subclass the StageTextInputSkin, and override createTextDisplay() to use another class.

Maurice

RE: Mobile TextInput Implementation status

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Hi,

I fixed two sub-issues/limitations related to the new ScrollableStageText

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33929 : Android : NPE in disposeProxy() bitmapData is null
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33931 : Cannot initiate view scrolling from a TextInput/TextArea with default new stage skin

Manually tested on:
- iOS6 (ipad 2)
- iOS7 (iPad 3)
- ADL on Windows

Mustella test pass:
mobile/components/TextInput
mobile/components/TextArea
mobile/SoftKeyboard
mobile/components/ActionBar

However, I could *not test on ANDROID* as usual.

Please someone could take the next nigthly build and check the issues above are fixed on ANDROID as well.

To make sure you have the right code, check for class "IProxiedStageTextWrapper" in spark.swc

Thanks in advance,

Maurice

De : omuppi1@gmail.com [mailto:omuppi1@gmail.com] De la part de OmPrakash Muppirala Envoyé : mardi 19 novembre 2013 18:14 À : dev@flex.apache.org Objet : RE: Mobile TextInput Implementation status

On Nov 19, 2013 9:05 AM, "Maurice Amsellem" <ma...@systar.com>
wrote:

> Since jenkins is down, do you need the updated swc ?

Which project is it?  I can just compile it and drop it in the sdk directory.

Thanks,
Om

Muppirala
> Envoyé : mardi 19 novembre 2013 17:55
> À : dev@flex.apache.org
> Objet : RE: Mobile TextInput Implementation status
>
> On Nov 19, 2013 4:53 AM, "Maurice Amsellem"
> <ma...@systar.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Fixed a few other issues
> > (see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33166)
> > > FIXED : Soft keyboard partially closes/opens  when moving the
> > > focus
> from one TI to another.
> > > to fix the issue above, had to trigger TI edition on mousedown
> > > instead
> of mouse click (like in StyleableStageText)
> > > fixed bug caused by the above.
> >
> > All related mustella test pass. ( mobile/TextInput, mobile/TextArea,
> mobile/SoftKeyboard)
> >
> > Om, can you please make a last test run on Android, so I can close
> > the
> ticket.
> >

> Will do, later in the night for me.
>
> Thanks,
> Om
>
> > Maurice

createTextDisplay():IStyleableEditableText
> >     {
> >         return new ScrollableStageText(multiline);
> >     }
> >
> > That way, you can derive from existing skins, instead of monkey
> > patching
> the default skin, if you only need to change the internal editable
> text
class.

> > Note also that displayText is now of type IStyleableEditableText,
> > instead
> of StyleableStageText, for the same purpose.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Maurice

more people to test the fix.

> > Thanks,
> > Om
> >
> > > - I have chosen to directly  replace StyleableStageText.
> > > Maybe I can also leave the old StyleableStageText with a different
> > > name,
> > so that it can be used in case there is an issue with the new one ?
> > or
> the other way?
> >
> > It would be better to keep the old one around with the same name.
> > Folks
> might have subclassed it to build their own implementations.
> >
> > > Now that it is an interface, it's easy to subclass the
> > StageTextInputSkin, and override createTextDisplay() to use another
class.

> > > Maurice

RE: Mobile TextInput Implementation status

I fixed the two issues that were reported in the JIRA ticket by Colins Childs.

fixed two issues reported above:
- two focused text inputs
- stage text floating above content.

Committed and pushed to develop branch
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=flex-sdk.git;a=commit;h=9e4bf21f

Mobile Mustella test pass:
- mobile/components/TextInput
- mobile/compoents/TextArea
- mobile/Softkeyboard

Sure. You need mobilecomponents and mobiletheme

> Since jenkins is down, do you need the updated swc ?

Which project is it?  I can just compile it and drop it in the sdk directory.

Thanks,
Om

more people to test the fix.

> > Thanks,
> > Om
> >
> > > - I have chosen to directly  replace StyleableStageText.
> > > Maybe I can also leave the old StyleableStageText with a different
> > > name,
> > so that it can be used in case there is an issue with the new one ?
> > or
> the other way?
> >
> > It would be better to keep the old one around with the same name.
> > Folks
> might have subclassed it to build their own implementations.
> >
> > > Now that it is an interface, it's easy to subclass the
> > StageTextInputSkin, and override createTextDisplay() to use another
class.

> > > Maurice

RE: Mobile TextInput Implementation status

Sure. You need mobilecomponents and mobiletheme

> Since jenkins is down, do you need the updated swc ?

Which project is it?  I can just compile it and drop it in the sdk directory.

Thanks,
Om

more people to test the fix.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Sure. You need mobilecomponents and mobiletheme

> Since jenkins is down, do you need the updated swc ?

Which project is it?  I can just compile it and drop it in the sdk directory.

Thanks,
Om

more people to test the fix.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Ok.

Did see my comment re new bitmaps and the issue with the y descender and underlines? Think that need to be looked at.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Mobile TextInput Implementation status

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Fixed a few other issues
(see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33166)
> FIXED : Soft keyboard partially closes/opens  when moving the focus from one TI to another.
> to fix the issue above, had to trigger TI edition on mousedown instead of mouse click (like in StyleableStageText)
> fixed bug caused by the above.

All related mustella test pass. ( mobile/TextInput, mobile/TextArea, mobile/SoftKeyboard)

Om, can you please make a last test run on Android, so I can close the ticket.

Maurice

Founds some bugs, so I won't commit until they are fixed...

Maurice

>Should I wait for the nightly or are these fixes on a branch?  Nightly  would be preferable so as to allow more people to test the fix.
I will push to the develop/ so that they be in the nightly

>It would be better to keep the old one around with the same name.  Folks might have subclassed it to build their own implementations.

What about :
ScrollableStageText
ScrollableStageTextInputSkin

For the new classes ?

Maurice

> Here is a brief status of the implementation of Mobile Text Input,
> along
with some questions:

> Implementation overview:
> The change is mainly on the class StyleableStageText, which now takes
> the
opposite approach than the previous one:
>   - display proxy image bitmap by default
>   - display StageText only when editing
> StageTextInputSkin/StageTextAreaSkin has been modified to use this
> class
>
> - to make it easier to change StageTextInputSkin internal
 StyleableStageText component, the variable textDisplay is now of type IStyleableEditText

> Behavior changes:
>   - scrolling and overlapping of text is well managed , as it always
> uses
the bitmap proxy, which is a Flex component:  all the text inputs are scrolling
>   - text occluding while editing is not managed yet, which means the
edited text may overlap other UIs. (TO BE DONE)

> Testing:
>   - tested on iPad 2 and iPad 3:  TI in scrolling forms, TI in callouts
>   - *NEEDS TO BE TESTED ON ANDROID*
>   - memory consumption tests yet to be done
>   - mustella test yet to be run
>

> Questions:
> - Can someone please test on Android ?

I can help out with Android testing.  Should I wait for the nightly or are these fixes on a branch?  Nightly  would be preferable so as to allow more people to test the fix.

Thanks,
Om

> - I have chosen to directly  replace StyleableStageText.
> Maybe I can also leave the old StyleableStageText with a different
> name,
so that it can be used in case there is an issue with the new one ? or the other way?

It would be better to keep the old one around with the same name.  Folks might have subclassed it to build their own implementations.

> Now that it is an interface, it's easy to subclass the
StageTextInputSkin, and override createTextDisplay() to use another class.

> Maurice

RE: Mobile TextInput Implementation status

Founds some bugs, so I won't commit until they are fixed...

Maurice

>Should I wait for the nightly or are these fixes on a branch?  Nightly  would be preferable so as to allow more people to test the fix.
I will push to the develop/ so that they be in the nightly

>It would be better to keep the old one around with the same name.  Folks might have subclassed it to build their own implementations.

What about :
ScrollableStageText
ScrollableStageTextInputSkin

For the new classes ?

Maurice

> Here is a brief status of the implementation of Mobile Text Input,
> along
with some questions:

> Implementation overview:
> The change is mainly on the class StyleableStageText, which now takes
> the
opposite approach than the previous one:
>   - display proxy image bitmap by default
>   - display StageText only when editing
> StageTextInputSkin/StageTextAreaSkin has been modified to use this
> class
>
> - to make it easier to change StageTextInputSkin internal
 StyleableStageText component, the variable textDisplay is now of type IStyleableEditText

> Behavior changes:
>   - scrolling and overlapping of text is well managed , as it always
> uses
the bitmap proxy, which is a Flex component:  all the text inputs are scrolling
>   - text occluding while editing is not managed yet, which means the
edited text may overlap other UIs. (TO BE DONE)

> Testing:
>   - tested on iPad 2 and iPad 3:  TI in scrolling forms, TI in callouts
>   - *NEEDS TO BE TESTED ON ANDROID*
>   - memory consumption tests yet to be done
>   - mustella test yet to be run
>

> Questions:
> - Can someone please test on Android ?

I can help out with Android testing.  Should I wait for the nightly or are these fixes on a branch?  Nightly  would be preferable so as to allow more people to test the fix.

Thanks,
Om

> - I have chosen to directly  replace StyleableStageText.
> Maybe I can also leave the old StyleableStageText with a different
> name,
so that it can be used in case there is an issue with the new one ? or the other way?

It would be better to keep the old one around with the same name.  Folks might have subclassed it to build their own implementations.

> Now that it is an interface, it's easy to subclass the
StageTextInputSkin, and override createTextDisplay() to use another class.

> Maurice

Mobile TextInput Implementation status

Founds some bugs, so I won't commit until they are fixed...

Maurice

>Should I wait for the nightly or are these fixes on a branch?  Nightly  would be preferable so as to allow more people to test the fix.
I will push to the develop/ so that they be in the nightly

>It would be better to keep the old one around with the same name.  Folks might have subclassed it to build their own implementations.

What about :
ScrollableStageText
ScrollableStageTextInputSkin

For the new classes ?

Maurice

> Here is a brief status of the implementation of Mobile Text Input,
> along
with some questions:

> Implementation overview:
> The change is mainly on the class StyleableStageText, which now takes
> the
opposite approach than the previous one:
>   - display proxy image bitmap by default
>   - display StageText only when editing
> StageTextInputSkin/StageTextAreaSkin has been modified to use this
> class
>
> - to make it easier to change StageTextInputSkin internal
 StyleableStageText component, the variable textDisplay is now of type IStyleableEditText

> Behavior changes:
>   - scrolling and overlapping of text is well managed , as it always
> uses
the bitmap proxy, which is a Flex component:  all the text inputs are scrolling
>   - text occluding while editing is not managed yet, which means the
edited text may overlap other UIs. (TO BE DONE)

> Testing:
>   - tested on iPad 2 and iPad 3:  TI in scrolling forms, TI in callouts
>   - *NEEDS TO BE TESTED ON ANDROID*
>   - memory consumption tests yet to be done
>   - mustella test yet to be run
>

> Questions:
> - Can someone please test on Android ?

I can help out with Android testing.  Should I wait for the nightly or are these fixes on a branch?  Nightly  would be preferable so as to allow more people to test the fix.

Thanks,
Om

> - I have chosen to directly  replace StyleableStageText.
> Maybe I can also leave the old StyleableStageText with a different
> name,
so that it can be used in case there is an issue with the new one ? or the other way?

It would be better to keep the old one around with the same name.  Folks might have subclassed it to build their own implementations.

> Now that it is an interface, it's easy to subclass the
StageTextInputSkin, and override createTextDisplay() to use another class.

> Maurice

RE: Mobile TextInput Implementation status

Founds some bugs, so I won't commit until they are fixed...

Maurice

>Should I wait for the nightly or are these fixes on a branch?  Nightly  would be preferable so as to allow more people to test the fix.
I will push to the develop/ so that they be in the nightly

>It would be better to keep the old one around with the same name.  Folks might have subclassed it to build their own implementations.

What about :
ScrollableStageText
ScrollableStageTextInputSkin

For the new classes ?

Maurice

> Here is a brief status of the implementation of Mobile Text Input,
> along
with some questions:

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Run mustella tests:
Mobile/Components/TextInput
Mobile/components/TextArea
Mobile/StageText

All pass.

Maurice

Founds some bugs, so I won't commit until they are fixed...

Maurice

>Should I wait for the nightly or are these fixes on a branch?  Nightly  would be preferable so as to allow more people to test the fix.
I will push to the develop/ so that they be in the nightly

>It would be better to keep the old one around with the same name.  Folks might have subclassed it to build their own implementations.

What about :
ScrollableStageText
ScrollableStageTextInputSkin

For the new classes ?

Maurice

> Here is a brief status of the implementation of Mobile Text Input,
> along
with some questions:

> Implementation overview:
> The change is mainly on the class StyleableStageText, which now takes
> the
opposite approach than the previous one:
>   - display proxy image bitmap by default
>   - display StageText only when editing
> StageTextInputSkin/StageTextAreaSkin has been modified to use this
> class
>
> - to make it easier to change StageTextInputSkin internal
 StyleableStageText component, the variable textDisplay is now of type IStyleableEditText

> Behavior changes:
>   - scrolling and overlapping of text is well managed , as it always
> uses
the bitmap proxy, which is a Flex component:  all the text inputs are scrolling
>   - text occluding while editing is not managed yet, which means the
edited text may overlap other UIs. (TO BE DONE)

> Testing:
>   - tested on iPad 2 and iPad 3:  TI in scrolling forms, TI in callouts
>   - *NEEDS TO BE TESTED ON ANDROID*
>   - memory consumption tests yet to be done
>   - mustella test yet to be run
>

> Questions:
> - Can someone please test on Android ?

I can help out with Android testing.  Should I wait for the nightly or are these fixes on a branch?  Nightly  would be preferable so as to allow more people to test the fix.

Thanks,
Om

> - I have chosen to directly  replace StyleableStageText.
> Maybe I can also leave the old StyleableStageText with a different
> name,
so that it can be used in case there is an issue with the new one ? or the other way?

It would be better to keep the old one around with the same name.  Folks might have subclassed it to build their own implementations.

> Now that it is an interface, it's easy to subclass the
StageTextInputSkin, and override createTextDisplay() to use another class.

> Maurice

RE: Mobile TextInput Implementation status

Founds some bugs, so I won't commit until they are fixed...

Maurice

>Should I wait for the nightly or are these fixes on a branch?  Nightly  would be preferable so as to allow more people to test the fix.
I will push to the develop/ so that they be in the nightly

>It would be better to keep the old one around with the same name.  Folks might have subclassed it to build their own implementations.

What about :
ScrollableStageText
ScrollableStageTextInputSkin

For the new classes ?

Maurice

> Here is a brief status of the implementation of Mobile Text Input,
> along
with some questions:

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Founds some bugs, so I won't commit until they are fixed...

Maurice

>Should I wait for the nightly or are these fixes on a branch?  Nightly  would be preferable so as to allow more people to test the fix.
I will push to the develop/ so that they be in the nightly

>It would be better to keep the old one around with the same name.  Folks might have subclassed it to build their own implementations.

What about :
ScrollableStageText
ScrollableStageTextInputSkin

For the new classes ?

Maurice

> Here is a brief status of the implementation of Mobile Text Input,
> along
with some questions:

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
>I can help out with Android testing.
Thanks

>Should I wait for the nightly or are these fixes on a branch?  Nightly  would be preferable so as to allow more people to test the fix.
I will push to the develop/ so that they be in the nightly

>It would be better to keep the old one around with the same name.  Folks might have subclassed it to build their own implementations.

What about :
ScrollableStageText
ScrollableStageTextInputSkin

For the new classes ?

Maurice

> Here is a brief status of the implementation of Mobile Text Input,
> along
with some questions:

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.