Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2008/03/01 01:44:41 UTC

Re: SOC: Lulu, a Lua implementation of Lucene

On Feb 29, 2008, at 4:09 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> That implies the Lucy actually is under development...  Perhaps they
> will take up work on Lucy...

:)

I haven't been feeding back my KinoSearch commits into the Lucy
repository, true.  Not much has changed status-wise since this: <http://xrl.us/bgyu6
 > (Link to mail-archives.apache.org).  I miss Dave :( but work
continues apace.  I just figured I wouldn't bring anything up here
until I had some experimental Java bindings for you folks to play
with.  Some of the stuff I'm working on with KS isn't compatible with
Lucene, and it doesn't make sense to impede progress by imposing that
constraint.  Better to finish it up, present a polished version and a
coherent explanation of the design, then have Mike McCandless riff off
of it -- that worked pretty well for indexing speed improvements in
Lucene 2.3.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: SOC: Lulu, a Lua implementation of Lucene

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> I haven't been feeding back my KinoSearch commits into the Lucy
> repository, true.  Not much has changed status-wise since this:
> <http://xrl.us/bgyu6> (Link to mail-archives.apache.org).  I miss
> Dave :( but work continues apace.  I just figured I wouldn't bring
> anything up here until I had some experimental Java bindings for
> you folks to play with.  Some of the stuff I'm working on with KS
> isn't compatible with Lucene, and it doesn't make sense to impede
> progress by imposing that constraint.  Better to finish it up,
> present a polished version and a coherent explanation of the
> design, then have Mike McCandless riff off of it -- that worked
> pretty well for indexing speed improvements in Lucene 2.3.

Looking forward to it ;)  Though it'd be nice to be more iterative
here, if possible, rather than the "big bang" approach.

Mike