Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2011/11/18 13:54:12 UTC

How long should a clean wookie build take?

I've just updated to the latest wookie trunk and ran

   $ ant clean
   $ ant run

I've build wookie last time for the 0.9.1 release candidate so I expect to have
most/all external dependencies in my local ivy cache (which is where?), no?

However the ant run build took more than 15 minutes to complete!
Should I have some magic setting to speed this stuff up?

Ate

Re: How long should a clean wookie build take?

Posted by Paul Sharples <p....@bolton.ac.uk>.
On 18/11/2011 12:59, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 18 November 2011 12:54, Ate Douma<at...@douma.nu>  wrote:
>> I've just updated to the latest wookie trunk and ran
>>
>>   $ ant clean
>>   $ ant run
>>
>> I've build wookie last time for the 0.9.1 release candidate so I expect to
>> have most/all external dependencies in my local ivy cache (which is where?),
>> no?
>>
>> However the ant run build took more than 15 minutes to complete!
>> Should I have some magic setting to speed this stuff up?

Without the 'D-offline-true' property the same build task took 6 mins here.

Paul

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 18 Nov 2011, at 12:59, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 18 November 2011 12:54, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
>> I've just updated to the latest wookie trunk and ran
>>
>>  $ ant clean
>>  $ ant run
>>
>> I've build wookie last time for the 0.9.1 release candidate so I expect to
>> have most/all external dependencies in my local ivy cache (which is where?),
>> no?

Usually ~/.m2 (same as Maven)

>> However the ant run build took more than 15 minutes to complete!
>> Should I have some magic setting to speed this stuff up?
>
> I always use ant run -Doffline=true which prevents a check of the
> dependencies, but I wouldn't expect it to make 15 mins difference.
>
> I've not done a clean build for some time, I wonder if the clean is
> killing the downloaded artifacts? Even if it is 15 minutes seems
> excessive

That seems really odd.

I just did a fresh checkout and build just to see:

svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/wookie/trunk wookie
cd wookie
ant run

... took about a minute.

I did a build recently which took ages as the Apache repo stalled - maybe there was maintenance going on - otherwise it seems pretty quick.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 18 Nov 2011, at 14:12, Ate Douma wrote:

> On 11/18/2011 02:59 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> Ate,
>>
>> Please SVN up and try again. It looks like the cache was set to always
>> check the origin in the ant/ivysettings.xml file. I've changed this
>> and now -Doffline=true appears to be working for me.
>
> Did you check that in?
> I just did a SVN up but get no incoming changes (yet).
>
> BTW: I now have a conflicting change on the WebContent/WEB-INF/lib folder.
>
> This WEB-INF/lib folder is empty in SVN, but seemingly the build itself removes it (ant clean?). This throws Eclipse/SVN into confusion.
> Is there a need to have this (empty) lib folder checked in?
> I think it would be better to *not* have this checked in and mark it with svn:ignore.

+1 this definitely doesn't need to be in svn.

I'd been assuming it was some sort of local svn issue at my end, glad to know its not just me.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 18 November 2011 17:35, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:

> Now it works, thanks!

You're welcome. I've been suspecting something was wrong for some time
but always thought "one day I'll look into that".

When it became your itch too it became time well spent/

> An initial build did take a lot of time for me too to rebuild the ivy cache,
> but thereafter (after an ant clean) it only takes ~ 30 seconds for a full
> compile-test.
>
> For people starting clean without ivy cache though it still will take a long
> time...

Yes. We note this in the docs, but it does seem an unreasonably long
time. One day I might look into that too.

Ross

Re: How long should a clean wookie build take?

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 11/18/2011 03:37 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 18 November 2011 14:27, Ate Douma<at...@douma.nu>  wrote:

>>> There must have been an error in my commit (more network issues). This
>>> time I have checked the output of my "svn ci"
>>
>> I've got your update and did an svn up.
>> However, it still isn't working :(
>>
>> Is using the parameter -Doffline=true the correct one?
>> I've just killed my local build as it still is going 'online' here.
>
> OK, I dug a little deeper. My solution should route around the network
> issue, but for some reason "ant clean" is also cleaning the ivy cache.
> This, of course, means ivy is forced back online again.
>
> So it was both a network and an ivy issue. Ivy appears to "helpfully"
> go online if it really has to, even when you specify offline=true
>
> I've stopped the cache being cleaned. I have a slow build underway
> right now while Ivy rebuilds its cache, but I imagine that subsequent
> clean builds will be quick.

Now it works, thanks!

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 11/18/2011 03:27 PM, Ate Douma wrote:
> On 11/18/2011 03:19 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

>>> Did you check that in?
>>> I just did a SVN up but get no incoming changes (yet).
>>
>> There must have been an error in my commit (more network issues). This
>> time I have checked the output of my "svn ci"
>
> I've got your update and did an svn up.
> However, it still isn't working :(

BTW: although there seems to be a network issue behind this, I also just did a
checkout of latest shindig trunk (which I hadn't build in a long time) and did a
clean build of it. Lots of external dependencies needed to be
resolved/downloaded but all in all it only took 1 min. 48 seconds to (test)
build it from scratch...
I'm not sure Ivy is the culprit here but it sure is weird.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 18 November 2011 14:12, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
> On 11/18/2011 02:59 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>> Ate,
>>
>> Please SVN up and try again. It looks like the cache was set to always
>> check the origin in the ant/ivysettings.xml file. I've changed this
>> and now -Doffline=true appears to be working for me.
>
> Did you check that in?
> I just did a SVN up but get no incoming changes (yet).

There must have been an error in my commit (more network issues). This
time I have checked the output of my "svn ci"

> BTW: I now have a conflicting change on the WebContent/WEB-INF/lib folder.
>
> This WEB-INF/lib folder is empty in SVN, but seemingly the build itself
> removes it (ant clean?). This throws Eclipse/SVN into confusion.
> Is there a need to have this (empty) lib folder checked in?
> I think it would be better to *not* have this checked in and mark it with
> svn:ignore.

+1

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Ate,

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 11/18/2011 02:23 PM, Scott Wilson wrote:
> On 18 Nov 2011, at 13:18, Ate Douma wrote:

>>> I always use ant run -Doffline=true which prevents a check of the
>>> dependencies, but I wouldn't expect it to make 15 mins difference.
>>>
>>> I've not done a clean build for some time, I wonder if the clean is
>>> killing the downloaded artifacts? Even if it is 15 minutes seems
>>> excessive
>>
>> OK, thanks for the tip.
>>
>> I've tried it again with
>>   $ ant clean
>>   $ ant -Doffline=true compile-test
>>
>> But it still goes 'online' trying to resolve dependencies...
>
> Have you updated recently? Dependencies set to "latest.integration" were overriding the offline setting, so we changed them to fixed version numbers to stop it trying to check online.
This is against latest trunk.
And I just did a full build before trying the above so my local maven repo is
all up to date as well.
It really seems to be ivy which takes ages 'resolving' (again) externally,
including (only?) fixed version numbers:

resolve:
[ivy:resolve] :: loading settings :: file =
/home/ate/workspace/wookie-trunk/ant/ivysettings.xml
[ivy:resolve] :: resolving dependencies ::
org.apache.wookie#wookie;0.9.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT
[ivy:resolve] 	confs: [deploy, database, runtime, dev, test, ddlutils,
deploy-with-src-and-docs, deploy-signed]
[ivy:resolve] 	found
org.apache.wookie#wookie-java-connector;0.9.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT in local
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.apache.wookie#wookie-parser;0.9.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT
in local
[ivy:resolve] 	found com.ibm.icu#icu4j;4.6.1 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.apache.commons#commons-email;1.1 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found javax.mail#mail;1.4 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found javax.activation#activation;1.1 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found commons-collections#commons-collections;3.2 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.apache.commons#commons-compress;1.0 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found commons-configuration#commons-configuration;1.7 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found commons-collections#commons-collections;3.2.1 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found commons-lang#commons-lang;2.6 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found commons-logging#commons-logging;1.1.1 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found commons-digester#commons-digester;1.8.1 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found commons-beanutils#commons-beanutils;1.8.3 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found commons-fileupload#commons-fileupload;1.2.1 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found commons-httpclient#commons-httpclient;3.1 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found commons-io#commons-io;1.4 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found dom4j#dom4j;1.6.1 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found xml-apis#xml-apis;1.0.b2 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found net.sourceforge.htmlcleaner#htmlcleaner;2.2 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.jdom#jdom;1.1 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.apache.ant#ant;1.7.0 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.apache.ant#ant-launcher;1.7.0 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.directwebremoting#dwr;2.0.5 in wookie-local
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.slf4j#slf4j-log4j12;1.5.2 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.slf4j#slf4j-api;1.5.2 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found log4j#log4j;1.2.14 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.apache.shindig#shindig-common;2.0.0 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found com.google.collections#google-collections;1.0-rc2 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found commons-codec#commons-codec;1.5 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.json#json;20080701 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.apache.openjpa#openjpa-all;2.0.0 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found commons-pool#commons-pool;1.3 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.apache.derby#derby;10.4.2.0 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found javax.servlet#servlet-api;2.5 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.mortbay.jetty#jetty;6.1.3 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.mortbay.jetty#jetty-util;6.1.3 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.mortbay.jetty#servlet-api-2.5;6.1.3 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found org.mortbay.jetty#jetty-plus;6.1.3 in public
[ivy:resolve] 	found geronimo-spec#geronimo-spec-jta;1.0.1B-rc4 in public

The above console 'snapshot' is taking ages to proceed (It's *still* running the
above compile-test build I emailed on before) with progress per line taking
multiple tens of seconds...

Either my system is 'screwed' or something else is weird. Note though I have no
problems like these when using maven builds.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.