Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by David Cargill <ca...@ca.ibm.com> on 2004/09/15 19:55:56 UTC

[VOTE]: Xerces-C Release Policy & Coding Conventions

Hi Xerces-C Committers,
I would like to have a vote on adopting the release policy and coding
conventions attached in the forwarded note below.

+1

Regards,
David A. Cargill
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
(905) 413-2371, tie 969
cargilld@ca.ibm.com
----- Forwarded by David Cargill/Toronto/IBM on 09/15/2004 01:52 PM -----

             David
             Cargill/Toronto/I
             BM                                                         To
                                       xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org
             09/02/2004 04:21                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Fw: Xerces-C Release Policy &
                                       Coding Conventions

Hi,
Earlier this year (Feb 9th to be precise) Alberto posted the "informal"
release policy for Xerces-C (
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xerces-c-dev&m=107632550720436&w=2).  I
have taken this information and created a new faq-contributing.xml file to
be included in the doc directory.  I also included a section on Coding
Conventions in this file to describe what I think are the main coding
conventions being used in Xerces-C.

Here is the html version of the file (after running createDocs.bat):

 (See attached file: faq-contributing.html)

I welcome feedback on the release policies and coding conventions.

Committers: I am hoping to be able to include this file in the Xerces-C 2.6
GA later this month.  So in a few weeks I will request a vote on adopting
the release policies and coding conventions.  Thanks.

Regards,
David A. Cargill
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
(905) 413-2371, tie 969
cargilld@ca.ibm.com

Re: [VOTE]: Xerces-C Release Policy & Coding Conventions

Posted by James Berry <ja...@jberry.us>.
On Sep 15, 2004, at 10:55 AM, David Cargill wrote:
> Hi Xerces-C Committers,
> I would like to have a vote on adopting the release policy and coding
> conventions attached in the forwarded note below.

Hi David,

I'm happily giving it a +1.

Two small notes:

	(1) Coding conventions says there should be platform specific code
only in util/Platforms. But our existing code violates this with
platform specific code also in util/Transcoders, util/MsgLoaders, and
util/NetAccessors, at the least. I believe these additional uses should
be mentioned as allowed, as they make sense.

  	(2) In release policy, two intances of the sentence "Mark deprecated
methods as deprecated using the JavaDoc tag @deprecated" seem to cry
out for just a bit more clarification. Is this allowed, non-allowed, or
simply a note on what to do? The sentence needs clarification.

James.

Re: [VOTE]: Xerces-C Release Policy & Coding Conventions

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@progress.com>.
Thanks David,

+1.

Alberto

Posted by David Cargill <ca...@ca.ibm.com>.

Hi Alberto,
I will change the following, from:

- x.x.x to x.y.z: the API is source code compatible but not binary
compatible (a recompilation of an application using Xerces-C++ should
work).

- x.x.x to x.y.z: the API is source code compatible but not binary
compatible (a recompilation of an application that uses the public headers
of Xerces-C++ should work).

If that sounds okay, can I get a +1.  Thanks.

Regards,
David A. Cargill
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
(905) 413-2371, tie 969
cargilld@ca.ibm.com

             Alberto Massari
             <amassari@progres
             s.com>                                                     To
                                       xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org
             09/15/2004 03:42                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [VOTE]: Xerces-C Release Policy
             Please respond to         & Coding Conventions
               xerces-c-dev

David,
I would change the "x.x.x to x.y.z" part to state that the section only
refers to the public headers (the ones that gets copied in the include
directory and packaged in a binary distribution). This means that client
applications that need a source distribution to build will have to expect
changes even in the public methods of classes defined in folders like
dom\impl.

Alberto

At 13.55 15/09/2004 -0400, David Cargill wrote:

>Hi Xerces-C Committers,
>I would like to have a vote on adopting the release policy and coding
>conventions attached in the forwarded note below.
>
>+1
>
>Regards,
>David A. Cargill
>XML Parser Development
>IBM Toronto Lab
>(905) 413-2371, tie 969
>cargilld@ca.ibm.com
>----- Forwarded by David Cargill/Toronto/IBM on 09/15/2004 01:52 PM -----
>
>              David
>              Cargill/Toronto/I
>              BM
>                                        xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org
>              09/02/2004 04:21
cc
>              PM

Subject

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@progress.com>.
David,

Re: Xerces-C Mac OS Port

Posted by Gareth Reakes <ga...@parthenoncomputing.com>.
Hi all,

On 20 Sep 2004, at 17:05, Alberto Massari wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> At 08.59 20/09/2004 -0700, James Berry wrote:
>> I've been a committer on Xerces-C for more than four years, working
>> on the Mac OS port. This seems like an eternity in this age. My
>> interests have moved on, to some extent, from Xerces-C and I haven't
>> been particularly active of late.
>>
>> While I'm happy to continue to make the occasional change to keep
>> things running or to prepare for a new release, I'm also wondering if
>> there's somebody who would be more active in the role, or for the
>> port.
>>
>> Are there any of the current committers who would like to take over
>> primary responsibility for the port? (Alberto?)
>
> Unfortunately I don't own a Mac (and consequently I don't know its API
> and compilers) - I am a Windows guy that sometimes works on Linux. I
> know that Gareth has a Mac notebook, but I don't think he has already
> started coding against the Mac APIs...

Alberto is correct. I am more than happy to help out, but have no real
mac experience. What kind of issues come up?

Gareth

> Alberto
>
>> Or other Mac users who are active in the Xerces-C community who would
>> like to do so? (Han-Ming, Adam?)
>>
>> James.

Gareth Reakes, Managing Director      Parthenon Computing
+44-1865-811184                  http://www.parthcomp.com

Re: Xerces-C Mac OS Port

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@progress.com>.
Hi James,

Re: Xerces-C Mac OS Port

Posted by James Berry <ja...@jberry.us>.
Hi David,

Below is a message forwarded from Wilfredo Sanchez regarding
availability of moof.apache.org. You might have missed it last
February.

James.

On Sep 20, 2004, at 9:01 AM, david_n_bertoni@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> I might be able to help a bit, but have no access to a machine.  I
> remember at least a year ago asking for an account on an Apache Mac
> box,
> but that didn't get anywhere.  Is there some hardware available that we
> can use?  It would also help us keep up with Xalan-C's Mac port.
>
> Thanks!

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Wilfredo Sánchez <ws...@mit.edu>
> Date: February 19, 2003 7:10:52 PM PST
> To: "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
> Cc: "James Berry" <jb...@criticalpath.com>, "David N
> Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM" <da...@us.ibm.com>
> Subject: Re: DNS entry for moof.apache.org
>
>   moof.apache.org is alive again.  Your account is active; should have
> gotten a message from me requesting a SSH keys file.
>
> 	-wsv
>

> On Wednesday, November 13, 2002, at 01:57 AM, Danny Angus wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>>    That's what this machine is for.
>>
>> If I haven't got the wrong end of the stick here Jakarta-James has a
>> number of Mac OSX users in our user-base, but none in our developer
>> community, if this would make it possible for us to do OSX builds
>> we'd be interested too. Naturally I'd be happy to help in any way
>> that I can in exchange for this facility.
>>
>> d.

Re: Xerces-C Mac OS Port

Posted by da...@us.ibm.com.
Hi James,

I might be able to help a bit, but have no access to a machine.  I
remember at least a year ago asking for an account on an Apache Mac box,
but that didn't get anywhere.  Is there some hardware available that we
can use?  It would also help us keep up with Xalan-C's Mac port.

Thanks!

Dave

James Berry <ja...@jberry.us>
09/20/2004 08:59 AM
Please respond to xerces-c-dev

        To:     xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org
        cc:     (bcc: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)
        Subject:        Xerces-C Mac OS Port

I've been a committer on Xerces-C for more than four years, working on
the Mac OS port. This seems like an eternity in this age. My interests
have moved on, to some extent, from Xerces-C and I haven't been
particularly active of late.

While I'm happy to continue to make the occasional change to keep
things running or to prepare for a new release, I'm also wondering if
there's somebody who would be more active in the role, or for the port.

Are there any of the current committers who would like to take over
primary responsibility for the port? (Alberto?) Or other Mac users who

Xerces-C Mac OS Port