Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tony Fountain <tf...@benefitconcepts.com> on 2007/10/18 15:38:58 UTC

Monitoring Apache Tomcat

Hi,

Apache Tomcat/5.5.23 (runs as windows service using
C:\Apache\Tomcat\bin\tomcat5.exe //RS//Tomcat5)
JVM 1.5.0_12-b04
Windows 2003 Standard (x86)

We are experiencing an issue where every night our Apache Tomcat
crashes.  I've reviewed all the logs and can not find anything to find
out why.  The only trace I have is in the Windows event log this message
- "The Apache Tomcat service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this
(n) time(s)." (where (n) has been any random number it seems - 2, 5, 10,
etc).  There is absolutely nothing in any of the Apache log files and
there is only one web app and there is nothing in any of it's log files
either.

My question is, are there any recommendations for monitoring the health
of the Apache service so when it goes down, we can see what was going on
over time?

Thanks,
Tony

Re: Monitoring Apache Tomcat

Posted by Juha Laiho <Ju...@iki.fi>.
Tony Fountain wrote:
> Apache Tomcat/5.5.23 (runs as windows service using
> C:\Apache\Tomcat\bin\tomcat5.exe //RS//Tomcat5)
> JVM 1.5.0_12-b04
> Windows 2003 Standard (x86)
>
> We are experiencing an issue where every night our Apache Tomcat
> crashes.  I've reviewed all the logs and can not find anything to find
> out why.  The only trace I have is in the Windows event log this message
> - "The Apache Tomcat service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this
> (n) time(s)." (where (n) has been any random number it seems - 2, 5, 10,
> etc).  There is absolutely nothing in any of the Apache log files and
> there is only one web app and there is nothing in any of it's log files
> either.
>
> My question is, are there any recommendations for monitoring the health
> of the Apache service so when it goes down, we can see what was going on
> over time?

As it "just goes down", the first idea that comes to mind is to increase
the log level (assuming you haven't done that already). With more verbose
logging you might find what you're looking for.

Also, it might be of interest whether the server goes down at a relatively
silent time (not much user traffic), or at some peak traffig time. Also,
as the crashes occur at night time, have you considered this could be
related to some automated maintenance during the night (f.ex. backups)?

--
..Juha