Posted to dev@training.apache.org by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/11 13:35:01 UTC

Re: Project Bylaws

Okay, any other opinions?

I don't necessarily need "Bylaws" but a good "Contributors Guide" is one of
my pet peeves. So as soon as we have the website up and running I'd like to
get some content up there.

I'm usually in favor of review-then-commit but in our case I'm not sure if
that's always going to work.
Ideally we'd have people contribute stuff that neither of us is -
technically I mean - able to review as we won't have experts for every
single field in the committership initially.
But we can of course review for form and style etc.

Other than that I'm in favor of requiring a +1 from another committer to
commit anything but this can be painful for small things (e.g. a single
typo). For Hive we established a rule that for small changes (at
contributors discretion) after a delay/request for reviews of 72h or so it
can be committed without feedback.

Cheers,
Lars

Re: Project Bylaws

Posted by Sönke Liebau <so...@opencore.com.INVALID>.
Agree on the contributors guide, that should be a high priority for
us. I imagine (probably more hope) that we have a higher than usual
drive-by commit rate and probably overall contributor count due to the
highly "fragmented" (in a positive way) nature of our content.
We discussed this in another thread [1] as well and I looked up some
examples around this.

Copy and pasting them here for reference:

A few examples of how other projects have handled this are:

Hadoop: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP/How+To+Contribute
Hive: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HowToContribute
HBase: http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#developer
Spark: https://spark.apache.org/contributing.html
Kafka: https://kafka.apache.org/contributing

Personally I think that Spark has done the best job of structuring the
page and assisting new people in finding ways to get involved. Maybe
we can refer to that when it comes time to create our "contributing"
page.

Also agree on the +1 rule with "Minor" changes being exempt. We should
probably come up with a few examples of what "minor" means and have a
clear requirement of how these are to be tagged/marked, so that one
can filter for them.

Best,
Sönke

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/850104e74675193be365a7a5036be10759f006130f03b3668a87c1cd@%3Cdev.training.apache.org%3E

--
Sönke Liebau
Partner

Re: Project Bylaws

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 9:14 AM Sönke Liebau
<so...@opencore.com.invalid> wrote:

> Thanks Kenn,
>
> that perfectly explains it!
> Something I just thought of while reading your mail: in the special case
> where the committer also considers himself an SME one review would be
> sufficient I guess?

Yes, I think that is right. I think it already fits with what you said
before. Trust the committer to decide.

Kenn

Re: Project Bylaws

Posted by Sönke Liebau <so...@opencore.com.INVALID>.
Thanks Kenn,

Re: Project Bylaws

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Re: Project Bylaws

Posted by Sönke Liebau <so...@opencore.com.INVALID>.
Hi all,

since this thread has become a little dormant I'll try to sum up what I
gathered from it so far. If no one has any objections I'll create a [VOTE]
thread of the back of that.
Not all of the below has been strictly speaking agreed upon, so please read
critically :)

Fundamentally we will follow a Review-then-commit workflow with two notable
exceptions:
- Trivial changes (jira issue classified as trivial) - these still need to
be posted for review but can be merged after 72 hours by lazy consensus
- To fix a broken build - to be reviewed later, if possible

Review requirements are separated, for code, tooling, website etc. the
following applies:
If the pull request was opened by a committer, the reviewer can be a
non-committer (chosen by the committer). For pull requests opened by
non-committers the reviewer must be a committer.

Re: Project Bylaws

Posted by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@apache.org>.
Hi Kenneth,

Re: Project Bylaws

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
Here it is:

Re: Project Bylaws

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: Project Bylaws

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Re: Project Bylaws

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lars,

I think we might codify this as RTC with an exception that if someone wants to commit a trivial or non-controversial patch, they still need to post the patch for review and specifically request lazy consensus after 72 hours or some other time we deem relevant to this project.

Re: Project Bylaws

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: Project Bylaws

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.