Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Sir Strongbad <si...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/04 01:23:00 UTC

Fop missing Ant?

I just downloaded FOP 0.20.5 and I am trying to run the servlet example and
I am getting an "NoClassDefFoundError" error.  When the build.bat runs, it
references a JAR called "Ant-1.5.1.jar" under the lib directory.  When I go
to that directory, there is no "Ant-1.5.1.jar" file present.  I have read in
several places that the "Ant-1.5.1.jar" should be packaged with FOP.  What's
the deal?  I know I am overlooking something.  Thanks for any suggestions!

Re: Fop missing Ant?

Posted by Paul Vinkenoog <pa...@vinkenoog.nl>.
Hello Jeremias, Sir Strongbad,

Maybe it's a lot less trouble if Sir just downloads the Ant distro,
places the necessary jar(s) in the lib dir, and adjusts the file names
in the batch file...

Greetings,
Paul Vinkenoog

Re: Fop missing Ant?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
FOP 0.20.5 came out before JDK 1.5. That's why you get errors. If you
compile FOP with JDK 1.3.1 or 1.4.2 it will build just fine.
Alternatively, you can download the maintenance branch of FOP directly
from Subversion [1]. The code there supports building under JDK 1.5 if
I'm not mistaken.

The alternative is to upgrade to FOP 0.91beta, of course.

[1] svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/branches/fop-0_20_2-maintain/

On 08.02.2006 23:21:02 Sir Strongbad wrote:
> I took your advice and and downloaded the source distribution.  When I
> ran the build file, i got 30 errors relating to the "enum" reserved
> word being used.  After a global search and replace, I am left with
> one error.
>
> compile:
>      [echo] Compiling the sources
>     [javac] Compiling 746 source files to C:\Program
> Files\Apache\fop-0.20.5\build\classes
>     [javac] This version of java does not support the classic
> compiler; upgrading to modern
>     [javac] C:\Program
> Files\Apache\fop-0.20.5\build\src\org\apache\fop\svg\PDFGraphics2D.java:1242:
> org.apache.fop.svg.PDFGraphics2D.PDFGraphicsConfi
> guration is not abstract and does not override abstract method
> createCompatibleVolatileImage(int,int,int) in
> java.awt.GraphicsConfiguration
>     [javac]     static class PDFGraphicsConfiguration extends
> GraphicsConfiguration {
>     [javac]            ^
>     [javac] Note: * uses or overrides a deprecated API.
>     [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
>     [javac] Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
>     [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
>     [javac] 1 error
>
> What am I missing here?  Thanks a million in advance...
>
> > I'm being dumb. Ant is only bundled in the source distribution. In the
> > binary distribution you don't need it. Normally. Only if you want to
> > build the servlet example, you need it. I guess Sir Strongbad should
> > download the source distribution and go from there.
>
> > On 04.02.2006 13:41:57 Paul Vinkenoog wrote:
> > > Hello Jeremias,

> > > That's strange - I have a FOP download here (fop-0.20.5-bin.zip) and
> > > there's definitely no Ant inside.
> > >
> > >  Afaict I made the download on 10 Jun 2004. All the files are
> > > timestamped 15 Jul 2003 4:04.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Fop missing Ant?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I'm being dumb. Ant is only bundled in the source distribution. In the
binary distribution you don't need it. Normally. Only if you want to
build the servlet example, you need it. I guess Sir Strongbad should
download the source distribution and go from there.

On 04.02.2006 13:41:57 Paul Vinkenoog wrote:
> Hello Jeremias,
>
> > Something doesn't feel right here. FOP 0.20.5 DOES bundle Ant 1.5.1
> > (found in the lib directory).
>
> That's strange - I have a FOP download here (fop-0.20.5-bin.zip) and
> there's definitely no Ant inside.
>
> Afaict I made the download on 10 Jun 2004. All the files are
> timestamped 15 Jul 2003 4:04.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Fop missing Ant?

Posted by Paul Vinkenoog <pa...@vinkenoog.nl>.
Hello Jeremias,

Re: Fop missing Ant?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Something doesn't feel right here. FOP 0.20.5 DOES bundle Ant 1.5.1
(found in the lib directory). Only since FOP 0.90 alpha 1 do we require
that Apache Ant is preinstalled. Anyway it's a good idea to install the
latest Apache Ant and to use "ant" on the command-line instead of "build".

On 04.02.2006 02:10:15 Paul Vinkenoog wrote:
> Hi Sir Strongbad,
>
> > I just downloaded FOP 0.20.5 and I am trying to run the servlet
> > example and I am getting an "NoClassDefFoundError" error.  When the
> > build.bat runs, it references a JAR called "Ant-1.5.1.jar" under the
> > lib directory.  When I go to that directory, there is no
> > "Ant-1.5.1.jar" file present.  I have read in several places that
> > the "Ant-1.5.1.jar" should be packaged with FOP.  What's the deal?
> > I know I am overlooking something.
>
> No, you're not. FOP 0.20.5 does not come with Ant. You have to get
> that separately at http://ant.apache.org. You may also have to
> download some of the other tools.
>
> BTW, the build.bat references really old lib versions. You need to
> change the filenames to match what you download (the names don't
> usually include version numbers).

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Fop missing Ant?

Posted by Paul Vinkenoog <pa...@vinkenoog.nl>.
Hi Sir Strongbad,

> I just downloaded FOP 0.20.5 and I am trying to run the servlet
> example and I am getting an "NoClassDefFoundError" error.  When the
> build.bat runs, it references a JAR called "Ant-1.5.1.jar" under the
> lib directory.  When I go to that directory, there is no
> "Ant-1.5.1.jar" file present.  I have read in several places that
> the "Ant-1.5.1.jar" should be packaged with FOP.  What's the deal?
> I know I am overlooking something.

No, you're not. FOP 0.20.5 does not come with Ant. You have to get
that separately at http://ant.apache.org. You may also have to
download some of the other tools.

BTW, the build.bat references really old lib versions. You need to
change the filenames to match what you download (the names don't
usually include version numbers).

Good luck,
Paul Vinkenoog