Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Bradley Falzon <br...@teambrad.net> on 2015/03/25 23:14:44 UTC

Recommended Backup Strategy

Hi All,

We're beginning initial testing of Stanbol, and wanted to know the
recommended approach to backups. We've tried checking the mailing list and
stanbol.apache.org for best practices, to no avail.

Is there any features built in? We're really unsure on the internal
workings and best strategy here.

Thoughts?

--
Bradley Falzon
brad@teambrad.net

Re: Recommended Backup Strategy

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I agree with Rafa.

For configuration you have three strategies:

(1) build everything into a custom launcher
(2) manage the configuration via the Sling Installer Framework [1] (e.g.
the FileInstaller).
(3) manage your configuration directly via the OSGI Configuration Admin [2]

As (1) and (2) are also based on the OSGI Configuration Admin you can also
mix those strategies.

In the simplest case you can put static configurations directly in the
launcher and use the Apache Sling Fileinstaller or if you like the OSGI
FileInstaller for managing custom configurations.

For binary data Stanbol uses the DataFileProvider [3] infrastructure. In
the simplest case just put all your files in the "stanbol/datafiles" folder.

Finally the Stanbol Solr integration manages an embedded Solr server. The
index data of this server are stored under "stanbol/indexes". So this
folder will hold your index data. If you use Entityhub ManagedSites with a
Solr backend your data will be stored under this folder.

Finally you will also find the default Apache Sling and Apache Felix folders

> stanbol/conf/
> stanbol/config/

This is the runtime configuration of the OSGI components. Never change
those by hand and keep a backup

> stanbol/startup/
> stanbol/felix/

Copies of the bundles. Created on the first startup. Updated only when you
install, update, remove bundles in the OSGI environment.

> stanbol/fileinstall/

If you have the Sling Fileinstall in use this contains configuration files.
If you also enable syncing back configurations created by other means you
will also have those files in this folder. I would strongly recommend to
deactivate this feature for production. NOTE: the actual runtime
configuration is in "stanbol/config" this is an 'external' view.

> stanbol/installer/

This is used by the Sling Installer framework to check if configurations
are updated. Needed to recover the status of components configured via the
Sling Installer framework.

> stanbol/sling.properties

The Sling configuration file

I hope this helps