Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> on 2011/11/22 19:08:03 UTC

Committers welcome email

The following point was recently made on another list:
> You were given a commit bit on the expectation that you'll use it
> reasonably and with common sense.

Does Incubator communicate to initial podling commiters the above, and
other expectations from commiters?  Does anyone point initial committers
to the committer welcome mail templates that various projects use?

Re: Committers welcome email

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I feel very lucky that my podlings have gotten this sort of thing
right pretty much without me. I've been thinking that I should, in
future, grab their attention and remind them of some things early and
often.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 22 November 2011 18:08, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> The following point was recently made on another list:
>> You were given a commit bit on the expectation that you'll use it
>> reasonably and with common sense.
>
> Does Incubator communicate to initial podling commiters the above, and
> other expectations from commiters?

I don't know abut the IPMC itself, but I always try to communicate
that to podlings I mentor with a "commit priveleges not rights" kind
of email after the first committer is voted in (or earlier if
discussions take a "we must protect ourselves" turn).

> Does anyone point initial committers
> to the committer welcome mail templates that various projects use?

Yes, I encourage all my podling projects to use slightly modified
versions of the templates over on ComDev [1], although I discovered
today that there are templates in Incubator too.

I just added the following to that template, based on the quote above:
"These privileges are offered on the understanding that you'll use
them reasonably and with common sense. We like to work on trust rather
than unnecessary constraints."

Ross

[1] http://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html

Ross Gardler (@rgardler)