Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Robert Gurol <ro...@signavio.com> on 2013/05/08 16:01:36 UTC

SVG text and tspan content disappears or gets distorted, restart necessary

Hi all,

my company has been using batik for several years now.

We are using batik for both SVG-to-PNG transcoding, and for rendering done
by Apache FOP 1.1.

The library is used in a running apache web server (see system stats below)
where its functionality may be accessed by multiple users at the same time.

# SYMPTOMS:
After running the system for a while, the text in the output disappears,
loses formatting or overlaps with itself; the corresponding SVG elements
whose content is painted inaccurately are text and tspan. The issue occurs
for all transcoding that is done once it occurred; a restart of the system
(Tomcat) fixes the issue, though only temporarily.

This has happened more frequently recently, I have already spent some time
trying to figure out the reasons.

Unfortunately, I have no exception output or similar (this part of the
system is supposed not to fail; possible Exceptions are ignored), but we
changed logging configuration so I may have more info soon, though I doubt
it considering there is a valid PNG output, though incorrectly rendered.

# SYSTEM:
OS: Debian Squeeze 64 Bit
Java: version 1.6.0_26
JRE: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03)
VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)
Server: Tomcat 6.0.35-1+squeeze2
Batik: Version 1.7 (most recent)

# STEPS TAKEN:
I have searched for quite some time, assuming a thread safety / concurrency
issue (like, a Singleton instance changed static variables incorrectly, and
this state pertains until the system is restarted and the static variable
gets re-initialized), so far without success.

I used the FindBugs checker on the batik source, but found no direct hints
as to where there may be defects causing an issue like this; I will present
the FindBugs output in a separate mail, though. I also investigated the
StrokingTextPainter class (implemented as a singleton) which does the
actual text rendering (as far as I can see), but cannot see issues with it.

I'll be glad for any help or pointers,

best regards

Robert

Besuchen Sie uns/Meet us:

Process Solutions Day <http://www.gfo-kongress.de/>: 2013: 14.+15.05.2013
in Frankfurt, Germany
Signavio Customer
Day<http://www.signavio.com/de/events/signavio-ladt-zum-kundentag-in-berlin-ein/>:
13.09.2013 in Berlin, Germany
Frankfurter Buchmesse <http://www.buchmesse.de/>: 09.-13.10.2013 in
Frankfurt, Germany
Messekongress "IT für
Versicherungsunternehmen"<http://www.assekuranz-messekongress.de/portal/de/messekongresse/it/aktuelles_2/index.xhtml>:
26.+27.11.2013
in Leipzig, Germany

Robert Gurol
Software Developer
robert.gurol@signavio.com
T +49 30 488 172 50
F +49 30 250 43 747

Signavio GmbH
Goethestr. 2-3
10623 Berlin

HRB 121584 B Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Ust-ID: DE265675123
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Gero Decker, Torben Schreiter

Weitergabe dieser E-Mail ist nicht gestattet.

e-mail is strictly forbidden.