Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Martin Zukal <ma...@stabilit.ch> on 2022/05/25 11:42:24 UTC

migrating application from Eclipse Virgo to Apache Karaf

Hello everyone,

I am considering to migrate an application running on Eclipse Virgo to Apache Karaf. The application consists of multiple OSGi bundles which communicate between each other using OSGi services. The bundles are using Spring as the IOC container and the services are exported using Gemini Blueprint. The database access is solved using JPA and hibernate and the frontend is developed in Primefaces. There are also some bundles which are fragments of other bundles.

I tried to migrate a smaller part of the application and I ran into quite some problems. The following areas are not really clear to me:

Is there a way how to solve exporting of Spring services to OSGi context or do I have to migrate to blueprint (as suggested here: https://stackoverflow.com/a/41939052)?

Is the blueprint-maven-plugin still used and maintained? The last release is four years old.

Is aspectj supported in Apache Karaf? What is needed to configure and what bundles need to be installed in order to have the aspects working? Are the aspects going to work also across bundles?

What is needed in order to deploy war file (using Primefaces and Mojarra as the JSF implementation)?

I guess there is not really a guide for migration from Eclipse Virgo to Apache Karaf but I would appreciate any hints and/or opinion as well as links to resources which could shed some light on the above mentioned topics.

I am happy to share more information about the application if neede.

Best regards

Martin Zukal

Re: migrating application from Eclipse Virgo to Apache Karaf

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Martin,

If you use "old" version, you can use spring-dm. You can also use
blueprint-spring-extender.

blueprint-maven-plugin is still there but not really maintained.

aspectj is supported, yes.

To deploy a war file, you just have to install war features in Karaf.

No, we don't have a migration guide in the documentation to "move" an
application from Virgo to Karaf, but it should not be so painful ;)

I can provide more details in a private message if needed.

Regards
JB