Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org> on 2002/03/03 01:33:09 UTC

German translation

Hi,

a few days ago I had a discussion with my publisher MITP in Germany
(I just finished the new edition of my Apache book for them) about
our  documentation.

They are offering us to translate the Apache documentation (for 2.0)
into German (or to sponsor the translation), provided that they
get the right to publish the german documention as a book.

What do you think about this offer?

They told me that they are currently doing the very same with
the MySQL documentation.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht                   - I don't know, I don't care,
lars@hyperreal.org            - and it doesn't make any difference.

Re: German translation

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org>.
According to Rodent of Unusual Size:

> No problem, as long as they don't think they're getting
> an EXCLUSIVE right to publish it.. :-)

But I guess even a non-exclusive right requires some sort
of written permission, does it?

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht                  - "New versions are not offered
lars@hyperreal.org               - to cure faults." (Bill Gates)

Re: German translation

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Lars Eilebrecht wrote:

> They are offering us to translate the Apache documentation (for 2.0)
> into German (or to sponsor the translation), provided that they
> get the right to publish the german documention as a book.

No problem, as long as they don't think they're getting
an EXCLUSIVE right to publish it.. :-)
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: German translation

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org>.
According to Astrid Keßler:

> I never thought about been sponsored or anything else, but if they want
> and nothing objects to the license ... Lars, I hope I didn't mistake you
> and you won't do this translation yourself?

Not yet decided ... but I don't think so.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht                 - You're not Dave.  Who are you?
lars@hyperreal.org

Re: German translation

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
> They are offering us to translate the Apache documentation (for 2.0)
> into German (or to sponsor the translation), provided that they
> get the right to publish the german documention as a book.

LOL, what a timing. My promise for a german translation is meant
business. I'm doing this in my spare time just for fun and this
brilliant software. Now I'm working at the second file and I think next
week I'll post the first part for review.

I never thought about been sponsored or anything else, but if they want
and nothing objects to the license ... Lars, I hope I didn't mistake you
and you won't do this translation yourself? Do you mind you could give me
your contact or tell your contact my name? MITP already knows me as one
of their authors.

Kess

E-Mail: kess@kess-net.de

Re: German translation

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org>.
According to Justin Erenkrantz:

> What a dry book that'd be!  -- justin

Only if the original documentation is dry as well ... ;-)

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht            - Out of coffee--error. Programmer halted.
lars@hyperreal.org

Re: German translation

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.

Re: German translation

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org>.
According to Cliff Woolley:

> The documentation is covered under the Apache Software License same as
> everything else I believe,

Hmm... is this really true?
But the feather logo is one example which is definitely not covered
by the Apache license.

BTW, is someone currently working on a german translation?

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht               - Bugs come in through open Windows.
lars@hyperreal.org

Re: German translation

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:

> They are offering us to translate the Apache documentation (for 2.0)
> into German (or to sponsor the translation), provided that they
> get the right to publish the german documention as a book.
>
> What do you think about this offer?

The documentation is covered under the Apache Software License same as
everything else I believe, so nothing's stopping anybody from taking the
documentation, doing whatever they want to it, and publishing it.  :)

--Cliff