Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com> on 2003/04/02 19:03:51 UTC

[proposal] deprecation logger

Hi folks,

We have in the 2.1 a number of features that are considered as
deprecated, although still supported. We need a way to inform users (the
ones that write Cocoon apps) that they use such deprecated features in a
way that allows them to be found easily, and not intermixed in the usual
logging flood.

So I'm thinking about a global logger dedicated to deprecation messages.
This would allow to write all messages going to that logger to e.g. a
"deprecated.log" file.

Now how do we make this logger accessible ? A static variable doesn't
seem to be a good solution, so I'm thinking of adding it to the Avalon
context. Any Contextualizable component can then access it.

Thoughts ?

Sylvain

Re: [proposal] deprecation logger

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>>> So I'm thinking about a global logger dedicated to deprecation
>>> messages. This would allow to write all messages going to that
>>> logger to e.g. a "deprecated.log" file.

>> Nice suggestion; but can't we just use WARN for deprecation warnings?
>> In above-then-debug log setting these messages will be well noticable.
>

> Well, this is effectively much more simple ;-)
> But don't you think a special category getting all deprecation
> warnings could be useful ?

I think that's useful; just don't want to introduce new stuff only
because of this... How about something among the lines of:

<deprecation-filter id="deprecation" log-level="WARN">
</deprecation-filter>

;-)

Vadim

Re: [proposal] deprecation logger