Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Indraveni <in...@yahoo.co.in> on 2006/07/20 07:57:09 UTC

File Size exceeded

Hi,

  I tried to import my project into the repository using the command

 svn import BOSS file:///subversion/BOSS -m "Initial Import"

 It stopped importing with a message "File Size Exceeded".
 My BOSS folder size is nearly 16 GB. And In my system I am having 43 GB space left. Then why I that message is displayed?

 Any Clues Please??

 Regards
 Indraveni K

---------------------------------
 Find out what India is talking about on Yahoo! Answers India.

Re: File Size exceeded

Posted by Jeff D <fi...@gmail.com>.
Indraveni wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I tried to import my project into the repository using the command
>
>  svn import BOSS file:///subversion/BOSS -m "Initial Import"
>
>  It stopped importing with a message "File Size Exceeded".
>  My BOSS folder size is nearly 16 GB. And In my system I am having 43 GB space left. Then why I that message is displayed?
>
>  Any Clues Please??
>
>  Regards
>  Indraveni K
>

> ---------------------------------
>  Find out what India is talking about on Yahoo! Answers India.

I've had this problem before, what I ended up doing, is breaking the
import into smaller chunks, one big import then just added in
directories after that until I got everything to import.

hth,
jeff

Re: File Size exceeded

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@comdasys.com>.
On Thursday 20 July 2006 09:57, Indraveni wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I tried to import my project into the repository using the command
>
>  svn import BOSS file:///subversion/BOSS -m "Initial Import"
>
>  It stopped importing with a message "File Size Exceeded".
>  My BOSS folder size is nearly 16 GB. And In my system I am having 43 GB
space left. Then why I that message is displayed?

>  Any Clues Please??

Because the filesystem you're using doesn't allow a single file to be that big
(around 16GB)... don't know where the limit is since I don't know what
filesystem you're using, but a lot of filesystems don't allow files bigger
than 2 GB, AFAIK.

The problem here is that SubVersion stores revision changes in a single file.
So if you do an import of 16GB, SubVersion tries to generate a file with
about 16 GB in it.

You might work around the problem by importing a small part (<2GB) and then
add new data, <2GB a time.

The alternative would be to reformat your partition with a filesystem that
allows bigger file sizes, but I think that's too much effort ;-)

>  Regards
>  Indraveni K

C'ya,
	Marc

--
Marc Haisenko
Comdasys AG

Rüdesheimer Straße 7
D-80686 München
Tel:   +49 (0)89 - 548 43 33 0
Fax:   +49 (0)89 - 548 43 33 29
e-mail: haisenko@comdasys.com
http://www.comdasys.com

Re: File Size exceeded

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
How does this question differ from the "File too large" error you
posted about almost a day ago?

bye,

Erik.