Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lynn Hollerman <gm...@louisiana.edu> on 2009/06/25 17:01:21 UTC

session-timeout vs. maxInactiveInterval

Question. I have been looking around the Net for information about the
items in the subject and tomcat; it appears that they are actually the
same thing(I'm not sure I'm understanding the docs correctly). So then,
what is the difference between the <session-timeout> that's set in a
tomcat's web.xml or an application's web.xml and the
"maxInactiveInterval" attribute of <Manager> in the context.xml file for
a particular application? Are these values interchangable, or does one
supercede the other?

Thanks!
--
Lynn Hollerman.
Office of Information Systems

RE: session-timeout vs. maxInactiveInterval

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Lynn Hollerman [mailto:gmh2441@louisiana.edu]
> Subject: session-timeout vs. maxInactiveInterval
>
> I have been looking around the Net for information about
> the items in the subject and tomcat; it appears that they
> are actually the same thing

Pretty much.  The <Manager> setting is used if the web.xml does not contain a <session-timeout> value.  Note the following from the servlet spec description of <session-timeout>:

"If this element is not specified, the container must set its default timeout period."

Since Tomcat supplies a <session-timeout> element in the global conf/web.xml, you would have to remove that before the <Manager> setting became effective.

 - Chuck