Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Alexander Mueller <al...@littleblue.de> on 2001/07/05 06:35:02 UTC

Question: concept of editors

Dumbo question: one feature or cvs is, u can tell the server you are editing a file, directory (you dont have to) with the "cvs edit" command.
The server stores this info. Others (and you) can use the command "cvs editors" to query the table
of editors for a file or directory. The server will then output a list of files that are being edited and the names of the editors.

In my eyes a great concept to stay on track whats going on and where to take care, especially if you
want to avoid the situation of having to merge code.

Didnt find something about this concept in svn? Am I blind, did people forget or thoughtfully ignore this feature?

-
Alex

Re: Question: concept of editors

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@collab.net>.
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:
> > We did discuss this some time ago, and the more general question of how
> > one could enforce CM policy within SVN. I think we decided then that
> > this was not important enought to worry about for 1.0.
>
> Right. The whole "edit" and "watch" stuff will not be included in SVN 1.0.

Just chiming in with a +1. :-)

-K

Re: Question: concept of editors

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 10:59:40AM +0200, Branko �ibej wrote:
> Alexander Mueller wrote:
>
> >Dumbo question: one feature or cvs is, u can tell the server you are editing a file, directory (you dont have to) with the "cvs edit" command.
> >The server stores this info. Others (and you) can use the command "cvs editors" to query the table
> >of editors for a file or directory. The server will then output a list of files that are being edited and the names of the editors.
> >
> >In my eyes a great concept to stay on track whats going on and where to take care, especially if you
> >want to avoid the situation of having to merge code.
> >
> >Didnt find something about this concept in svn? Am I blind, did people forget or thoughtfully ignore this feature?
> >

> We did discuss this some time ago, and the more general question of how
> one could enforce CM policy within SVN. I think we decided then that
> this was not important enought to worry about for 1.0.

Right. The whole "edit" and "watch" stuff will not be included in SVN 1.0.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Question: concept of editors

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Alexander Mueller wrote:

>Dumbo question: one feature or cvs is, u can tell the server you are editing a file, directory (you dont have to) with the "cvs edit" command.
>The server stores this info. Others (and you) can use the command "cvs editors" to query the table
>of editors for a file or directory. The server will then output a list of files that are being edited and the names of the editors.
>
>In my eyes a great concept to stay on track whats going on and where to take care, especially if you
>want to avoid the situation of having to merge code.
>
>Didnt find something about this concept in svn? Am I blind, did people forget or thoughtfully ignore this feature?

We did discuss this some time ago, and the more general question of how
one could enforce CM policy within SVN. I think we decided then that
this was not important enought to worry about for 1.0.

    Brane

--
Brane �ibej
    home:   <br...@xbc.nu>             http://www.xbc.nu/brane/