Posted to users@maven.apache.org by tr...@yahoo.com.cn on 2004/12/05 11:07:19 UTC

Re: Question about cvs directory layout and Maven project directory layout

Again, any body can be kindly to give me an
explanation?
 --- trincermail-maven@yahoo.com.cn 的正文:

http://cn.rd.yahoo.com/mail_cn/tag/1g/*http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/event/mail_1g/

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@dashorst.dds.nl>.
Hi,

The repository connection(s) you define in the project.xml are there for
2 (or possibly more) reasons:
1. documentation -> when you generate the site, a web page is created to
show interested developers where to get the source
2. source code management -> several plugins allow actions to be taken
using the repository connections.

ad 1.
It is very nice to know how to get the source, or how to browse the
source. See this kind of pages like the project summaries of projects
hosted on sourceforge:
- list of developers
- mailinglists
- license
- sourcecode repository
- etc.

ad 2.
Most notably, the SCM plugin utilizes the connection strings (). It is
possible to update your project (scm:update-project), or to prepare and
perform a release. Best way is to look at the plugin itself, even though
the documentation is not up to standards.

As for the project layout: normally you will only commit the
project.xml, maven.xml, project.properties files, and src directory to
CVS (or whatever SCM you use). Especially the target subdirectory should
be added to a .cvsignore file in order to disregard changes to that
directory (very frequently).

Martijn