Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by Jason Foster <ja...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/09 01:14:16 UTC

Independent perforce ant projects triggering builds of each other

I'm not sure how to explain this exactly but it appears as though whenever
we have more than one ant project using perforce for scm (which is the only
type of project we setup and/or need), builds are triggered on all projects
even though only one or none of them changed.  If there is only one
ant/perforce project setup in continuum then it works perfectly.  Another
symptom is that the changelist in the build info page and the notifications
shows a giant list of files that couldn't have possibly been changed during
build schedule cycles.

Here is some more info on the setup we have:

OS = Windows XP Pro SP2
JVM = 1.4.2_12
Ant = 1.6.5
Continuum = 1.0.3
SCM = Perforce

Here are some issues with our setup that I, as a newbie, think could be
related:

1. The perforce clientspec setup for the machine is targeting a rather large
subsection of the repository, starting at a level that is higher up than any
of the projects we want to build.  Could this be the cause?  Does the
clientspec need to be narrowed down?
2. Whenever we add a perforce/ant project to continuum it puts it under the
"Default Project Group", which means that we have multiple projects in the
Default Project Group.  When you have multiple projects in the Default
Project Group does this make them "dependent projects"?  Is there a way to
make this not happen?

Other than this one issue, everything is working great.  Thanks in advance
for any help.

--
Jason Foster
jason.foster@gmail.com | 512.947.3214

Re: Independent perforce ant projects triggering builds of each other

Posted by David Roussel <co...@diroussel.xsmail.com>.
On 9 Nov 2006, at 00:14, Jason Foster wrote:

> 1. The perforce clientspec setup for the machine is targeting a
> rather large
> subsection of the repository, starting at a level that is higher up
> than any
> of the projects we want to build.  Could this be the cause?  Does the
> clientspec need to be narrowed down?

I think this is the key point.  I'm not a perforce user, but I
imagine the perforce scm plugin for maven will look for any changes
in this client spec and consider them changes for the project.  See
if you can change the client spec to be a bit more project specfic,
and see if that fixes it.

I know it can be a pain, as I guess you are just inheriting it.

David