Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by pantao <pa...@ffcs.cn> on 2008/02/03 03:23:57 UTC

svn backup question

Hi,

I would like to use xcopy to directly backup a SVN repository,
is it ok? I am not quite concern about the last few commition.
I just hope the backup contain almost all the data of the
repository but not must fullly all.

And in the transaction directory, It seems there is data there
about fail transaction ? May I clear the failed transction data?

many thanks,
PanTao

RE: svn backup question

Posted by "Harvey, Edward" <Ed...@patni.com>.
This topic is covered in the subversion book.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

If you simply copy the files, and any svn transaction happens during the
copy, you're at risk of having a corrupt backup.  If you disable all
access to the repository and copy the files, you should be fine.

The recommended backup method is to use hot-backup.py, which eliminates
these problems and produces a reliable backup every time.

I would like to use xcopy to directly backup a SVN repository,

is it ok? I am not quite concern about the last few commition.

I just hope the backup contain almost all the data of the

repository but not must fullly all.

And in the transaction directory, It seems there is data there

about fail transaction ? May I clear the failed transction data?

many thanks,

PanTao

http://www.patni.com

kindly delete  this e-mail from your records. If it appears that this
us immediately at netadmin@patni.com and delete this mail.

Re: svn backup question

Posted by michael <cs...@networkingnewsletter.org.uk>.
On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 16:21 +0800, pantao wrote:
> [...]

For a one off, why not use
	svnadmin hotcopy currentRepo backupRepo

(which is used by hot-backup.py as others suggested)

Re: svn backup question

Posted by pantao <pa...@ffcs.cn>.
Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: svn backup question

Posted by pantao <pa...@ffcs.cn>.
hi, Blair Zajac

>> I would like to use xcopy to directly backup a SVN repository,
>> is it ok? I am not quite concern about the last few commition.
>> I just hope the backup contain almost all the data of the
>> repository but not must fullly all.
>
> For windows, I would recommend installing Python from
>
> http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5.1/python-2.5.1.msi
>
> and using this script in the distribution:
>
> tools/backup/hot-backup.py
>
> You'll get safe backups.

I will try it.

many thanks,
PanTao

Re: svn backup question

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
pantao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use xcopy to directly backup a SVN repository,
> is it ok? I am not quite concern about the last few commition.
> I just hope the backup contain almost all the data of the
> repository but not must fullly all.

For windows, I would recommend installing Python from

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5.1/python-2.5.1.msi

and using this script in the distribution:

tools/backup/hot-backup.py

You'll get safe backups.

Regards,
Blair