Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2003/05/06 22:43:40 UTC

Re: Credentials under which Apache serves requests

[Wrapping up old issues...]

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Astrid Keßler wrote:

> > Check out the subject line: it's both grammatically twisted and
> > just plain unintelligible.

> > So the question is, how do we refer to such things in a way that is
> > specific and direct, but general enough to cover all apache users.

> I prefer terms like 'http system user', 'system permissions' as
> suggested by nd. A terminoloy schould be easy to understand -
> Credentials imho isn't and I have no better one. Excatness as Michael
> wants can be reached by further description of the term.

I don't think those cut it, because they don't express the distinction
between the user that starts apache and the user under which apache
serves requests.

Unless someone comes up with a better idea, I think perhaps we should
continue to refer specifically to the User and Group directives, and
perhaps include some comments in those directives about what to do on
platforms where they have no effect.

Joshua.