Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2003/08/17 00:03:42 UTC

Re: Make Jdk14Logger and Log4JLogger Serializable

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:24:45 +0700
> > From: Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>
> > To: Jakarta Commons Users List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Subject: Re: Make Jdk14Logger and Log4JLogger Serializable
> >
> > As far as I know the only complications are having the Log cache the
> > log name and then be sure to re-hookup logging when de-serialized.  I
> > did this for JBoss's logger abstraction and it worked well.
> >

> I'm going to work on this for commons-logging today.  It doesn't look
> difficult to make all the standard Log implementations Serializable.

As of tonight's (20030817) nightly build of commons-logging, the Log
implementations for JDK 1.4, Log4J, LogKit, and Avalon loggers, plus the
built-in SimpleLog implementation, are now Serializable.  Unit tests were
also enhanced to exercise this, for the JDK 1.4, Log4J, and SimpleLog
implementations.

> If people have suggestions for functionality improvements, they are less
> likely to get lost if they're entered into the issue tracking system:
>
> http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/
>
> > --jason
> >

> Craig McClanahan

Craig