Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Howie Wang <ho...@hotmail.com> on 2005/06/07 18:00:17 UTC

RE: NoClassDefFoundError (newbie question; please help)

It's funny, I had things working just fine for weeks and I tried to do
things from scratch yesterday and got the exact same thing. It turned
out that my problem was corrupted JAR files. Can you do a
"$JAVA_HOME/bin/jar tvf nutch-0.6.jar" successfully? And on all
the jar files in the nutch lib directory?

I think what happened with me is that I tried stuffing everything
into a local CVS repository and it changed the jars into text files.

You shouldn't have to set CLASSPATH since the nutch script should
take care of it for you.

Maybe you should try downloading from scratch and making sure
you can "jar tvf" the jar files from the new download.

By the way, Filemon is invaluable when tracking down odd build
issues on Windows:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html

Howie

Posted by Howie Wang <ho...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

I'm on Windows. I just unset CLASSPATH, and here's what I'm running
from bin/nutch:

C:/jdk14/bin/java -Xmx1000m -classpath
e:\projects\nutch-0.6\conf;e:\projects\nu
tch-0.6\build\classes;e:\projects\nutch-0.6\build;e:\projects\nutch-0.6\build\te
st\classes;e:\projects\nutch-0.6\nutch-0.6.jar;e:\projects\nutch-0.6;e:\projects
\nutch-0.6\lib\concurrent-1.3.4.jar;e:\projects\nutch-0.6\lib\dom4j-1.4.jar;e:\p
rojects\nutch-0.6\lib\jaf-1.0.2.jar;e:\projects\nutch-0.6\lib\jakarta-oro-2.0.7.
jar;e:\projects\nutch-0.6\lib\junit-3.8.1.jar;e:\projects\nutch-0.6\lib\lucene-1
.4.2.jar;e:\projects\nutch-0.6\lib\servlet.jar;e:\projects\nutch-0.6\lib\taglibs
-i18n.jar;e:\projects\nutch-0.6\lib\xerces-2_6_2-apis.jar;e:\projects\nutch-0.6\
lib\xerces-2_6_2.jar net.nutch.tools.WebDBAdminTool db -create

There might be something interesting going on with the line in the script
near
the bottom:

# cygwin path translation
if expr match `uname` 'CYGWIN*' > /dev/null; then
  CLASSPATH=`cygpath -p -w "$CLASSPATH"`
fi

I just tried commenting it out and it gives me the same error as you.
I would try commenting it IN by hand and see how it goes:

Posted by we...@MIT.EDU.

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@media-style.com>.
Can you please try to type:

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@media-style.com>.

Posted by Christine C Moran <we...@MIT.EDU>.
Jack,
Before sending my previous email:
I deleted all files on my computer with any references to nutch (EXCEPT
for one old nutch file in tomcat\work\catalina\... could this be the
problem? I'm deleting as we speak).

 Then I downloaded the nightly build from
http://lucene.apache.org/release/nightly
entitled nutch-2005-06-06.tar.gz

I unzipped and then cd'ed in cygwin to the directory where nutch-nightly
was unzipped (a folder with bin, lib, nutch-nightly.jar). In this
directory i ran ./bin/nutch args and got the error I described.

<quote>
the package "net.nutch.tools.." shows the version is oooold. pls check out
the version on apache.
</quote>

I've only ever downloaded nutch from the new version from apache... why is
it referring to an old package then?

Christine

Posted by Jack Tang <hi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christine

Posted by Howie Wang <ho...@hotmail.com>.
>I don't know if that the script
>$ ./bin/nutch args
>handles the classpath as you say.

To debug what the script is doing, change it so that
instead of the final line:

  #  run it
  exec $JAVA $JAVA_HEAP_MAX $NUTCH_OPTS -classpath "$CLASSPATH" $CLASS "$@"

It does

  echo $JAVA $JAVA_HEAP_MAX $NUTCH_OPTS -classpath "$CLASSPATH" $CLASS "$@"
  exec $JAVA $JAVA_HEAP_MAX $NUTCH_OPTS -classpath "$CLASSPATH" $CLASS "$@"

If this doesn't show something interesting, give Filemon a try and see
where it's looking for WebDBAdminTool.

Howie

Posted by Christine C Moran <we...@MIT.EDU>.