Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM> on 2006/01/04 00:23:42 UTC

Proposal: Weblog Page If-Modified Filter

here's another one that's actually really short and may not have needed
an official proposal.  I just wasn't sure if there was some reason why
we hadn't done this one in the past.

http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Proposal_WeblogPageIfModifiedFilter

-- Allen

Re: Proposal: Weblog Page If-Modified Filter

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 14:34, David M Johnson wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2006, at 6:23 PM, Allen Gilliland wrote:
> > here's another one that's actually really short and may not have
> > needed an official proposal.  I just wasn't sure if there was some
> > reason why we hadn't done this one in the past.
> > http://rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?
> > page=Proposal_WeblogPageIfModifiedFilter
>
> Thanks for writing up a proposal.
>
> I think there's a fundamental flaw in the proposal as it stands.
> You're using the time of the last blog post as the last update time,
> but what if the bookmarks, comments, page-templates or other things
> change?
>
> And what if the blog page has other dynamically updated content, for
> example, I display a planet group (of my del.icio.us links) in the
> sidebar of my blog and it could potentially change every time the
> planet refresh entries tasks is run.
>
> I think we discussed this long long ago. Some ideas I remember were:
>
> * Add a last modified date to WebsiteData and and whenever an entry,
> template, comment or bookmark is updated, we update that date.
>
> * Make sure all objects have updated fields, so we can check last
> update time of entries, templates, comments bookmarks, etc.
>
> But those aren't complete solutions. Perhaps the "last-modified" file
> of a page should be the time it was last entered into the page cache?

i think the weblog last-modified field is probably the best answer.  it is certainly useful to keep an accurate account of the last time a weblog was modified and this would give the best results.  it's a little annoying though, since you have to save the WebsiteData object any time one of the other objects changes.

alternatively, we can simply work off the last-rendered time like Dave suggested, which basically means that if a page gets requested and we don't have a last-modified time cached for that page then we set the last-modified time to the current time.  that would work well as long as you have a fairly large last-modified cache, but if the site is large and has a lot of pages then the filter would start to lose its effectiveness.  it also means that each time you restart the site it would be the same as if all the content had been updated.

-- Allen

Posted by David M Johnson <Da...@Sun.COM>.