Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2003/11/19 06:05:57 UTC

build problems

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to build subversion on OSX 10.3 and am running into some
problems.

I am using Fink and installed db41 (berkeley db 4.1).

I installed Apache 2.0.48 on my own. It was re-compiled/configured to
use the db41 in /sw. APR was also built using db41 in /sw as noted in
the configure output.

[24][ src/apache/httpd-2.0.48/srclib/apr-util ]# grep sw Makefile
INCLUDES = -I/usr/local/src/apache/httpd-2.0.48/srclib/apr-util/include
-I/usr/local/src/apache/httpd-2.0.48/srclib/apr-util/include/private
-I/usr/local/src/apache/httpd-2.0.48/srclib/apr/include  -I/sw/include
-I/usr/local/src/apache/httpd-2.0.48/srclib/apr-util/xml/expat/lib
APRUTIL_LDFLAGS = -L/sw/lib
-L/usr/local/src/apache/httpd-2.0.48/srclib/apr-util/xml/expat/lib

Here is the script I used to build Apache...

#!/bin/sh

APP=httpd-2.0.48

cd $APP

./configure \
         --enable-layout=Darwin \
         --with-berkeley-db=/sw

make

Here is my script for building subversion...

#!/bin/sh

APP=subversion
VER=0.33.1

tar -xzf $APP-$VER.tar.gz

cd $APP-$VER
./configure \
         --with-apr=/usr/bin/apr-config \
         --with-apr-util=/usr \
         --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs \
         --with-zlib \
         --with-berkeley-db=/sw

make

It goes through the process and I see...

configure: Apache Portable Runtime (APR) library configuration
checking for APR... yes
checking APR version... 0.9.5
configure: Apache Portable Runtime Utility (APRUTIL) library
configuration
checking for APR-util... yes
checking APR-UTIL version... 0.9.5

Seems fine to me. The only problem is that it gets near the end of the
subversion config process and it says:

configure: error: APR-UTIL was installed independently, it won't be
                         possible to use the specified Berkeley DB: /sw

Doh! Why is that?

thanks

jon

Re: build problems

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
when i write configure scripts, I like to make them as fool proof as
possible.

it would be good to: #1. give the user a better error message. #2. not
give the user an error message at all and simply ignore the argument
for me since it isn't needed. maybe just a warning message that says it
was ignored. there is no way without this trial/error to know that i
could have left it off.

thanks for the quick response ben! =)

Re: build problems

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 00:05, Jon Stevens wrote:

> configure: error: APR-UTIL was installed independently, it won't be
>                          possible to use the specified Berkeley DB: /sw
>
> Doh! Why is that?

Hi Jon!

If Subversion detects an installed httpd/apr/apu/apxs, it tries to use
them all.  When this happens, Subversion's configure asks the installed
apr-util for all the BerkeleyDB build flags.   So that means (in this
case) you cannot pass --with-berkeley-db to Subversion's configure.
Just leave the argument off, and Subversion will use whatever apr-util
is already using.

By the way, if it turns out that apr-util chose the wrong version of bdb
(run 'apu-config --db-version' to see), you can pass '--with-dbm=db4' to