Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by George Sigletos <si...@textkernel.nl> on 2016/09/28 16:50:06 UTC

TRUNCATE throws OperationTimedOut randomly

Hello,

I keep executing a TRUNCATE command on an empty table and it throws
OperationTimedOut randomly:

cassandra@cqlsh> truncate test.mytable;
OperationTimedOut: errors={}, last_host=cassiebeta-01
cassandra@cqlsh> truncate test.mytable;
OperationTimedOut: errors={}, last_host=cassiebeta-01

Having a 3 node cluster running 2.1.14. No connectivity problems. Has
anybody come across the same error?

Thanks,
George

Re: TRUNCATE throws OperationTimedOut randomly

Posted by Romain Hardouin <ro...@yahoo.fr>.
Hi,
@Edward > In older versions you can not control when this call will timeout,truncate_request_timeout_in_ms is available for many years, starting from 1.2. Maybe you have another setting parameter in mind?
@GeorgeTry to put cassandra logs in debug
Best,
Romain

    Le Mercredi 28 septembre 2016 20h31, George Sigletos <si...@textkernel.nl> a écrit :

 Even when I set a lower request-timeout in order to trigger a timeout, still no WARN or ERROR in the logs

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 8:22 PM, George Sigletos <si...@textkernel.nl> wrote:

Hi Joaquin,

Unfortunately neither WARN nor ERROR found in the system logs across the cluster when executing truncate. Sometimes it executes immediately, other times it takes 25 seconds, given that I have connected with --request-timeout=30 seconds.

The nodes are a bit busy compacting. On a freshly restarted cluster, truncate seems to work without problems.

Some warnings that I see around that time but not exactly when executing truncate are:
WARN  [CompactionExecutor:2] 2016-09-28 20:03:29,646 SSTableWriter.java:241 - Compacting large partition system/hints:6f2c3b31-4975- 470b-8f91-e706be89a83a (133819308 bytes

Kind regards,
George

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 7:54 PM, Joaquin Casares <jo...@thelastpickle.com> wrote:

Hi George,
Try grepping for WARN and ERROR on the system.logs across all nodes when you run the command. Could you post any of the recent stacktraces that you see?
Cheers,
Joaquin Casares
ConsultantAustin, TX
Apache Cassandra Consultinghttp://www.thelastpickle.com
On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 12:43 PM, George Sigletos <si...@textkernel.nl> wrote:

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I understand that truncate is an expensive operation. But throwing a timeout while truncating a table that is already empty?

A workaround is to set a high --request-timeout when connecting. Even 20 seconds is not always enough

Kind regards,
George

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 6:59 PM, Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:

Truncate does a few things (based on version)
  truncate takes snapshots  truncate causes a flush
  in very old versions truncate causes a schema migration.

In newer versions like cassandra 3.4 you have this knob.

# How long the coordinator should wait for truncates to complete# (This can be much longer, because unless auto_snapshot is disabled# we need to flush first so we can snapshot before removing the data.)truncate_request_timeout_in_ms : 60000

In older versions you can not control when this call will timeout, it is fairly normal that it does!

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 12:50 PM, George Sigletos <si...@textkernel.nl> wrote:

Hello,

I keep executing a TRUNCATE command on an empty table and it throws OperationTimedOut randomly:

Posted by George Sigletos <si...@textkernel.nl>.

Posted by George Sigletos <si...@textkernel.nl>.
Hi Joaquin,

Posted by Joaquin Casares <jo...@thelastpickle.com>.