Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Jason Venner <ja...@attributor.com> on 2008/04/15 18:56:48 UTC

Question about reporting progress in mapper tasks. 0.15.3

I have a mapper that for each task does extensive computation. In the
computation, I increment a counter once per major operation (about once
every 5 seconds). I can see this happening by the log messages, that
happen around the reporter.incrCounter call.

Still my mapper is getting killed after not reporting for 60X seconds,
it is clear that that incrementing a counter is insufficient disable the
kill timeout.

How do you disable the kill timeout?

--
Jason Venner
Attributor - Publish with Confidence <http://www.attributor.com/>

RE: Question about reporting progress in mapper tasks. 0.15.3 - solved

Posted by Joydeep Sen Sarma <js...@facebook.com>.
Well .. counters are back in 16 as progress indicators (I think):

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-2189

Well, on deeper reading of the code and the documentation,
reporter.progress(), is the required call.

Posted by Jason Venner <ja...@attributor.com>.