Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Alexandru Popescu ☀ <th...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/23 10:32:17 UTC

Installing CouchDB 0.11 on Mac OS

Hi all,

I've been trying yesterday to install the latest build of CouchDB [1]
on both Mac OS 10.6.2 and 10.5.8, but even if the irc people have been
very helpful all my attempts have finally failed.

Here is briefly what I've tried:

A/ Mac OS 10.6.2.

- adapted Homebrew formula to fetch the latest CouchDB [1]
- attempt to install CouchDB directly from Homebrew. This failed and
the error log was posted [2]
- install only dependencies from Homebrew and attempt a manual install
of CouchDB. This has failed too and the error log was posted here [3]

B/ Mac OS 10.5.8

- adapted Homebrew formulat to fetch the latest CouchDB [1]
- attempt to install CouchDB directly from Homebrew. This has failed
in the configure phase:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/couchdb/0.11.0
--localstatedir=/usr/local/var --sysconfdir=/usr/local/etc

checking for curl >= 7.18.0... can't find curl >= 7.18.0
configure: error: Libraryr requirements (curl) not meet

(my system reports libcurl 7.16.3)

I have also checked the CouchDB wiki install notes [4] and an email
thread about some issues with getting CouchDB working [5], but in the
end I couldn't get it to work on either of my systems.

At this moment, I am completely lost as I have no idea on how to move
forward. I would really appreciated if someone could shed some light
on how to get this working.

Many thanks in advance,

:- alex

PS: I've been asked by the guys on irc to perform a lot of different
checks, but I don't remember them all to reproduce them here.

macloki:~ alex$ nm /usr/lib/libcurl.dylib | grep _curl_easy_perform
0002158d T _curl_easy_perform
macloki:~ alex$ nm /opt/local/lib/libcurl.dylib | grep _curl_easy_perform
0001e790 T _curl_easy_perform
macloki:~ alex$ echo $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
<empty>

[1] http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/0.11.0/apache-couchdb-0.11.0.tar.gz