Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> on 2003/03/14 14:32:32 UTC

Catalina shutdown port as command line param?

Hi,

I was wondering if we can add the '-shutdown portnumber' to the
catalina's command line parameters.
The usage would be to enable multiple TC instances using the same
server.xml file.

If present the param would override the config's <Server port="8005">

MT.

Re: Catalina shutdown port as command line param?

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Mladen Turk wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I was wondering if we can add the '-shutdown portnumber' to the
>>catalina's command line parameters.
>>The usage would be to enable multiple TC instances using the same
>>server.xml file.
>>
>>If present the param would override the config's <Server port="8005">
>

> For 4.1.x or 5.0 ?
>
> In 5.0 I would like to use ajp13 for shutdown, like in 3.3 - there is no
> need for a second port and all support is there, including the generation
> of a random password at startup and selection of the first free port.

Since you're speaking about start/stop, did there is plan to use a
service wrapper (may be using JNI) to ensure start/stop works.

For instance I've got some applications here, embedded in TC 3.3.1,
which take time to stop properly and the problem when using start/stop
from command line, is that you're never sure the application
has finished, which is problematic when you want to make a restart
for instance.

The patch I commited in start scripts for TC 3.3.1/4.1/5.0 help
us to know the PID of the first java process, but having something
more bullet proof will be welcomed.

Re: Catalina shutdown port as command line param?

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Mladen Turk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if we can add the '-shutdown portnumber' to the
> catalina's command line parameters.
> The usage would be to enable multiple TC instances using the same
> server.xml file.
>
> If present the param would override the config's <Server port="8005">

For 4.1.x or 5.0 ?

In 5.0 I would like to use ajp13 for shutdown, like in 3.3 - there is no
need for a second port and all support is there, including the generation
of a random password at startup and selection of the first free port.

Costin