Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> on 2002/08/28 11:08:53 UTC

Automatic initialization with log4j.xml

Log4j currently checks whether a resource called log4j.properties
exists and if it does, uses it to configure itself. This happens when
log4j classes are loaded into memory. There have been several requests to have
log4j automatically search for a resource called log4j.xml and use it
if it exists.

This new feature would give configuration files written in XML format
equal footing with those written in properties format.

The only disadvantage of this change is that log4j will no longer
compile without the presence of a JAXP parser in the classpath which
is not an issue because compilation requires Ant which in turn requires XML.

--
Ceki

ps: I intend to make this change for the 1.2.7 release.

Re: Automatic initialization with log4j.xml

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@ewarna.com>.
On Wednesday 28 August 2002 17:08, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> Log4j currently checks whether a resource called log4j.properties
> exists and if it does, uses it to configure itself. This happens when
> log4j classes are loaded into memory. There have been several requests to
> have log4j automatically search for a resource called log4j.xml and use it
> if it exists.
>
> This new feature would give configuration files written in XML format
> equal footing with those written in properties format.
>
> The only disadvantage of this change is that log4j will no longer
> compile without the presence of a JAXP parser in the classpath which
> is not an issue because compilation requires Ant which in turn requires
> XML.

Great!  Never got the hang of properties format...

And as long as it manage to not to fail in runtime if JAXP is not present...

Niclas