Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2014/11/10 19:04:53 UTC

Windows Service won't start

Re: Windows Service won't start

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Mark,

On 11/13/14 11:04 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

>> So it looks like there is an architecture mismatch:
>> tomcat7.exe/procrun is 64-bit and the JVM is 32-bit. We are
>> replacing the JVM with a 64-bit one but I'm curious how to make
>> Tomcat work on a 32-bit JVM on 64-bit Windows. I tried some
>> Google searching and it was mostly people re-configuring the
>> JAVA_HOME to point to a 64-bit JVM and not actually getting this
>> to work.
>>
>> We installed from the ZIP package.
>
> Which one? There are 4. (This question so for the benefit of the
> archives. I can tell which you are using from the rest of your
> question.)

Yep, it was the 64-bit package.

>> Does the ZIP package always have 64-bit tomcat7.exe/procrun
>> packaged with it?
>
> Yes, the zip package for running with 64-bit JVMs always includes
> procrun for 64-bit JVMs.
>
>> Any chance to get 32-bit binaries included as well?
>
> None whatsoever.

Understood.

> http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi
>
> <quote> Please see the README file for packaging information. It
> explains what every distribution contains. </quote>

*facepalm*

I had the client "install" Tomcat and they picked the package to
download. They had a 64-bit machine so they downloaded and unpacked
the 64-bit ZIP distribution into apache-tomcat-7.0.xx (no architecture
hint in the directory name), but I didn't notice the architecture.
They also chose to install the 32-bit Java JVM not knowing there was
any problem.

My inexperience with Windows, and especially the packaging of Tomcat
(I have only ever downloaded the ".zip" version without a specific
architecture) led to this confusion.

We ended up installing a 64-bit JVM instead, and now all is well.

Thanks to those who have helped, here (David, Jeffrey, and Mark).
Windows can unravel anyone. Just looking at log files on Windows makes
me sad. :(

- -chris

Re: Windows Service won't start

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

> So it looks like there is an architecture mismatch:
> tomcat7.exe/procrun is 64-bit and the JVM is 32-bit. We are replacing
> the JVM with a 64-bit one but I'm curious how to make Tomcat work on a
> 32-bit JVM on 64-bit Windows. I tried some Google searching and it was
> mostly people re-configuring the JAVA_HOME to point to a 64-bit JVM
> and not actually getting this to work.
>
> We installed from the ZIP package.

Which one? There are 4. (This question so for the benefit of the
archives. I can tell which you are using from the rest of your question.)

> Does the ZIP package always have 64-bit tomcat7.exe/procrun packaged with it?

Yes, the zip package for running with 64-bit JVMs always includes
procrun for 64-bit JVMs.

> Any chance to get 32-bit binaries included as well?

None whatsoever.

http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi

<quote>
Please see the README file for packaging information. It explains what
every distribution contains.
</quote>

Mark

Re: Windows Service won't start

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 11/13/2014 11:05 AM, David kerber wrote:
> On 11/13/2014 10:51 AM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> On 11/10/14 1:04 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> When a Tomcat Windows Service won't start (with the super-helpful
>>> "a service-specific error occurred"), where can I look for
>>> detailed information about what happened?
>>>
>>> (Please be kind, I'm not an everyday Windows administrator)
>>>
>>> I installed the service myself using a process almost exactly like
>>> this:
>>>
>>> C:\> SET CATALINA_HOME=[path to Tomcat] C:\> SET
>>> CATALINA_BASE=[path to my catalina.base] C:\> SET JAVA_HOME=[path
>>> to Java] C:\> %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\service.bat install myproject
>>>
>>> I can see the Windows Service called "Apache Tomcat 7.0 myproject"
>>> in the Services management console. Clicking "start" results in a
>>> short wait and then the error about how the service itself had a
>>> problem with no details.
>>>
>>>  From the CLI, running "net start myproject" yields a similar
>>> error.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> So it looks like there is an architecture mismatch:
>> tomcat7.exe/procrun is 64-bit and the JVM is 32-bit. We are replacing
>> the JVM with a 64-bit one but I'm curious how to make Tomcat work on a
>> 32-bit JVM on 64-bit Windows. I tried some Google searching and it was
>> mostly people re-configuring the JAVA_HOME to point to a 64-bit JVM
>> and not actually getting this to work.
>
> IME you can install 32-bit TC on 64-bit windows as long as you have a
> 32-bit JVM installed.  But you may have to manually select the 32-bit
> JVM rather than letting the installer use its defaults.  It's been a
> year or so since I've done it, so I'm not 100% sure of the process.
>

>> We installed from the ZIP package. Does the ZIP package always have
>> 64-bit tomcat7.exe/procrun packaged with it? Any chance to get 32-bit
>> binaries included as well?
>
> I do know that I use the windows installer package, rather than the .zip
> package for TC.

Sent too soon...

And then I unpack the zip package on top of the windows-installed
directory, to get all the scripts and utilities that are not in the
installer package

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

All,

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

The above may have something if you can't find it in the *_stderr.log or *_stdout.log file in the Tomcat logs directory.
I've almost always found the issue in one of those three places when I've had the error.

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Re: Windows Service won't start

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Konstantin,

On 11/11/14 4:15 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> When a Tomcat Windows Service won't start (with the
>> super-helpful "a service-specific error occurred"), where can I
>> look for detailed information about what happened?
>>
>> (Please be kind, I'm not an everyday Windows administrator)
>>
>> I installed the service myself using a process almost exactly
>> like this:
>>
>> C:\> SET CATALINA_HOME=[path to Tomcat] C:\> SET
>> CATALINA_BASE=[path to my catalina.base] C:\> SET
>> JAVA_HOME=[path to Java] C:\> %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\service.bat
>> install myproject
>>
>> I can see the Windows Service called "Apache Tomcat 7.0
>> myproject" in the Services management console. Clicking "start"
>> results in a short wait and then the error about how the service
>> itself had a problem with no details.
>>
>> - From the CLI, running "net start myproject" yields a similar
>> error.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Tomcat version = ?

Sorry, Tomcat 7.0.56. We have it running on another server with Tomcat
7.0.55 that works fine. I used the same procedure (i.e. SET
CATALINA_... and service.bat install) on both servers.

> Run tomcat7w.exe and check that service parameters are as expected
> (bootstrap class name, start/stop arguments).  It is also possible
> to use registry viewer, but using tomcat7w.exe is more convenient.
>
> Path to log files by one of options there - it shall be Tomcat log
> directory. If it is empty then --LogPath has default value, as
> documented in

I do get the procrun logs for stdout and stderr.. they just both say
"starting" with no errors.

> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-service-howto.html#Command_line_parameters

Some old versions of service.bat of Tomcat 7 had a bug that
> "service.bat install" had to be run from console window that
> itself is run with elevated privileges.
> https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=56143

No UAC prompts during installation, plus my version should be high enough.

I have a chance to look at the server again on Thursday. I'll check
everything folks have posted here.

Thanks,
- -chris

Re: Windows Service won't start

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> When a Tomcat Windows Service won't start (with the super-helpful "a
> service-specific error occurred"), where can I look for detailed
> information about what happened?
>
> (Please be kind, I'm not an everyday Windows administrator)
>
> I installed the service myself using a process almost exactly like this:
>
> C:\> SET CATALINA_HOME=[path to Tomcat]
> C:\> SET CATALINA_BASE=[path to my catalina.base]
> C:\> SET JAVA_HOME=[path to Java]
> C:\> %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\service.bat install myproject
>
> I can see the Windows Service called "Apache Tomcat 7.0 myproject" in
> the Services management console. Clicking "start" results in a short
> wait and then the error about how the service itself had a problem
> with no details.
>
> - From the CLI, running "net start myproject" yields a similar error.
>
> Any suggestions?

Tomcat version = ?

Run tomcat7w.exe and check that service parameters are as expected
(bootstrap class name, start/stop arguments).  It is also possible to
use registry viewer, but using tomcat7w.exe is more convenient.

Path to log files by one of options there - it shall be Tomcat log
directory. If it is empty then --LogPath has default value, as
documented in

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-service-howto.html#Command_line_parameters

Some old versions of service.bat of Tomcat 7 had a bug that
"service.bat install" had to be run from console window that itself is
run with elevated privileges.
https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=56143

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko