Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Pasindu Ariyarathna <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/23 14:42:25 UTC

GSoC 2011

I am computer Engineering Student and I'm willing to participate
Google summer of code competition this year. I have seen your last
year completed projects and I am interested in that kind of projects .
So I would like to know up to what extent of programming knowledge is
required to successfully complete a project of your organization this
year.

thank you
--
Pasindu Pavithra Ariyarathna

Re: GSoC 2011

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello Ross and others

I am looking at these pages

http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html

because myself and Nicolas Lalevée are interested in mentoring for Ant
and Ivy

I notice that the web pages are a bit out of date (they refer to GSOC
2010 and the links to issues filters in JIRA need updating).

Where are the pages sources in svn ? Can I help updating them ?

Regards,

Antoine

Re: GSoC 2011

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 23/02/2011 13:42, Pasindu Ariyarathna wrote:
> I am computer Engineering Student and I'm willing to participate
> Google summer of code competition this year. I have seen your last
> year completed projects and I am interested in that kind of projects .
> So I would like to know up to what extent of programming knowledge is
> required to successfully complete a project of your organization this
> year.

Generally speaking you need to have the skills to complete the task that
you take on. I realise that's not too helpful, but there are different
tasks, some of them quite complex. Your job, during the application
period, is to work with potential mentors to ensure you can actually
complete the task in hand.

You must understand that your mentors are not here to teach you how to
do the task. They will guide you and point you in the right direction,
but they will not tell you how to do it. What this means is that you
need sufficient skills to understand what your mentor is telling you and
sufficient self-drive to go off and figure out how to complete the task.

To put it one final way - you are not expected to be a wonder coder, but
you are expected to be able to work independently, with mentored guidance.

Ross