Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org> on 2005/08/04 19:17:49 UTC

near-term plan

Here's a near-term plan for Nutch.

1. Release Nutch 0.7, based on current trunk.  We should do this ASAP.
Are there bugs in trunk that we need to fix before this can be done?
The trunk will be copied to a 0.7 release branch.

2. Merge the mapred branch to trunk.

3. Move the packages org.apache.nutch.{io,ipc,fs,ndfs,mapred} into a
separate project for distributed computing tools.  If the Lucene PMC
approves this, it would be a new Lucene sub-project, a Nutch sibling.

Does this sound reasonable to folks?

Doug

Re: Documentation

Posted by Nishant Chandra <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I am looking for more technical documentation (developers manual). The
link doesnt have that. Can some1 help me with this.

Nishant

--
Website: www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~nishantc

Re: Documentation

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@media-style.com>.
try:

Documentation

Posted by Nishant Chandra <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Detecting unmodified content patches (Re: near-term plan)

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
>
>> So, I would propose a deadline of Aug 8 for the last commits, and then
>> perhaps Aug 15 for the release?
>

> Sounds good to me.  Thanks for helping with this!

Unfortunately, the patches related to detecting the unmodified content
will have to wait until after the release.

Here's the problem: It's quite easy to add this checking and recording
capability to all fetcher plugins, fetchlist generation and db update
tools, and I've done this in my local patches. However, after a while I
discovered a serious problem in the way Nutch currently manages "phasing
out" of old segment data. If we assume that we always refresh after some
fixed interval (30 days, or whatever), then we can safely delete
segments older than 30 days. If the interval varies, then potentially we
could be stuck with some segments with very old (but still valid) data.
This is very inefficient, because in a single given segment there might
be only a couple of such pages left after a while, and the rest of them
would have to be removed again and again by deduplication because newer
pages would exist in newer segments.

Moreover (and this is the worst problem) if such segments are lost, the
information in webdb must be updated in a way to force refetching, even
though the "If-Modified-Since" or the MD5 points out that the page is
still unchanged since the last fetching. Currently the only way to do
this is to "add days" - but if we use a variable refetch interval then
it doesn't make much sense. I think we need to track in a better way
which pages are "missing" from the segments, and have to be re-fetched,
or to have a better DB update mechanism if we lose some segments.

Perhaps we should extend the Page to record which segment holds the
latest version of the page? But segments don't have unique ID's now (a
directory name is too fragile and too easily changed) ...

Related question: in the FetchListEntry we have a "fetch" flag. I think
that after minor modifications of the FetchListTool (to generate only
entries, which we are supposed to fetch) we could get rid of this flag,
or change its semantics to mean "unconditionally fetch, even if unmodified".

Any comments?

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: near-term plan

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org>.

Re: near-term plan

Posted by Piotr Kosiorowski <pk...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
I think it is good idea to release ASAP. I wanted to contribute my code
for fault-tolerant searching - it takes more time than I expected
because as some of you know in meantime I become a father. But I hope I
will be able to send something for comments early next week. I will look
at the Jira to check if some more bugs can be fixed before deadline
proposed by Andrzej.
Regards
Piotr

Re: near-term plan

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.

Re: Fw: Re: near-term plan

Posted by Piotr Kosiorowski <pk...@gmail.com>.
I think it was already answered by Doug ealier in this thread.

"... Yes.  It is alpha-quality, not yet release-worthy, but it works.  If
you're an experienced Java developer, I'd encourage you to give it a
try.  If you're a user who doesn't want to look beyond the config files,
then I'd wait a bit."

P.

Re: Fw: Re: near-term plan

Posted by Jay Pound <we...@poundwebhosting.com>.

Re: Fw: Re: near-term plan

Posted by Piotr Kosiorowski <pk...@gmail.com>.

Fw: Re: near-term plan

Re: near-term plan

Re: near-term plan

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org>.
Jay Pound wrote:
> Doug I also ran into this when I was testing ndfs the system would have to
> wait for the namenode to tell the datanodes what data to recieve and which
> data to replicate

When did you test this?  Which version of Nutch?  How many nodes?  My
benchmark results from just a few days ago.  There've been a lot of
fixes in the past week and NDFS now works much better.

> I'm currently setting up lustre to see how it works, its
> at the kernel level that it operates, do you think if the namenode was not
> java that it would perform better? I plan on running a system where the
> namenode (metadata) server will have to perform thousands of i-o's a
> sec,concurrently updating indexes of multiple segments simultaniously,
> updating the db on one machine, and fetching multiple segments on multiple
> machines, all accessing the same logical filesystem at the same time.

While running the benchmark the namenode was typically using only 2% of
its 1Ghz CPU.

http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce.html

> PSS: via chips aernt very fpu powerfull try an opteron for your namenode, I
> bet you will see a huge improvement in speed, even over xeon's p4's etc... I
> was only able to test 5 machines but I was able to saturate 50-60mb a sec to
> each (mainly replication throughput running level 1)

Via is not my first choice of CPU, it's simply what the Internet Archive
has given me to use.  With hundreds of datanodes a Via-based namenode
could become a bottleneck.  Right now it is not.

Doug

Re: near-term plan

Posted by Jay Pound <we...@poundwebhosting.com>.
Doug I also ran into this when I was testing ndfs the system would have to
wait for the namenode to tell the datanodes what data to recieve and which
data to replicate, I'm currently setting up lustre to see how it works, its
at the kernel level that it operates, do you think if the namenode was not
java that it would perform better? I plan on running a system where the
namenode (metadata) server will have to perform thousands of i-o's a
sec,concurrently updating indexes of multiple segments simultaniously,
updating the db on one machine, and fetching multiple segments on multiple
machines, all accessing the same logical filesystem at the same time. the
way that namenode responded it took a few seconds to replicate data to other
datanodes, and it took time to start the copying of data, if writing an
index imagine if you have to wait 1-10 secs per file to be written(if
queued), that will cause serious problems. also I was able to saturate
gigabit with ndfs (well about 50-60MBytes a sec its hard to get better than
that with copper) , it just took a few secs to "ramp up" to speed, thats
including file copying and replication.
-Jay

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org>.

Re: near-term plan

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@media-style.com>.
Hi Doug,
> The slides from my talk yesterday at OSCON give some hints on how
> to get started.  We need a MapReduce tutorial.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/Presentations

Can you explan what this means: Page 20:
- cheduling is bottleneck, not disk, network or CPU?

Thanks.
Stefan

Re: near-term plan

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org>.