Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Rainer Frey (Inxmail GmbH)" <ra...@inxmail.de> on 2009/03/17 15:03:57 UTC

[OT] Re: Vmware Server 2 web interface uses tomcat but hogs 8005 and 8009

On Tuesday 17 March 2009 14:46:35 Christopher Schultz wrote:
> Rainer,
>
> > There is no special management instance. VMWare Server is an application
> > that runs on a regular host operating system instance (it installs linux
> > kernel modules though, and probably also Windows drivers).
>
> Interesting. This used to be called "VMWare Workstation".

Different product. Workstation costs money, has support for 3D acceleration in
guests, and host-guest integration stuff like shared folders. A reduced free
variation is VMWare Player.

VMWare Server is free of charge, optimized on running several VMs and being
accessed from remote (Server Console in V1, web console plugin in V2). It is
actually the successor of VMWare GSX Server.

> > What do you mean with "the other end"? I use VMWare Server 2 on Ubuntu
> > (original tar.gz install from vmware.com), also found that it blocks the
> > said ports, and simply changed the server.xml of the VMWare Tomcat.
>
> He still wants the web manager to work, and the /client/ expects to
> connect on a certain port. If you change VMWare's server-side ports, the
> client can no longer connect.

What client or web manager do you talk about? VMWare Server 2.0 has a browser
interface, and the browser does not care about the Tomcat shutdown port or
the (AFAIK totally unused) AJP connector port. As I wrote (and you did not
quote) this browser interface works just fine on my system.

Rainer

Re: [OT] Re: Vmware Server 2 web interface uses tomcat but hogs 8005 and 8009

Posted by "Rainer Frey (Inxmail GmbH)" <ra...@inxmail.de>.
On Tuesday 17 March 2009 15:23:03 André Warnier wrote:
> +1 (confirming what Rainer says above).

[...]

> I also do not really see the interest in running a separate Tomcat on
> the physical Linux server, since one can easily define a Virtual host
> and run a Tomcat in there.

To avoid misunderstandings: I see no problem in running tomcat on the host for
use cases like mine. I'm a developer for a tomcat-based client/server
application, and I run several instances of tomcat and VMWare server on my
linux workstation. I use a Windows VM for our CRM tool and to test the
windows version of or Java Swing UI.  I also sometimes use additional linux
VMs for other tests. It makes no sense  for me to virtualize my development
environment with tomcat, just to not run anything on the host out of
principle.

> This interface is sufficiently graphic and complex to deserve a Tomcat
> to manage it.  There is also a console applet, which you download and
> install in the browser, and which allows, through the server, to obtain
> a system tty console on each Virtual machine.

Since we're offtopic anyway, some details for whoever might be interested (not
trying to nitpick, just additional info): the console is no Java Applet, but
a browser plugin, and is integrated into the server/vm management web UI. One
can also create shortcuts to launch it standalone, after it has been
installed in the browser. It does not only provide tty access, but also a
VNC-like graphical interface if the guest has a GUI.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Rainer Frey (Inxmail GmbH) wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 March 2009 14:46:35 Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> Rainer,
>>
>>> There is no special management instance. VMWare Server is an application
>>> that runs on a regular host operating system instance (it installs linux
>>> kernel modules though, and probably also Windows drivers).
>> Interesting. This used to be called "VMWare Workstation".
>
> Different product. Workstation costs money, has support for 3D acceleration in
> guests, and host-guest integration stuff like shared folders. A reduced free
> variation is VMWare Player.
>
> VMWare Server is free of charge, optimized on running several VMs and being
> accessed from remote (Server Console in V1, web console plugin in V2). It is
> actually the successor of VMWare GSX Server.
>
>>> What do you mean with "the other end"? I use VMWare Server 2 on Ubuntu
>>> (original tar.gz install from vmware.com), also found that it blocks the
>>> said ports, and simply changed the server.xml of the VMWare Tomcat.
>> He still wants the web manager to work, and the /client/ expects to
>> connect on a certain port. If you change VMWare's server-side ports, the
>> client can no longer connect.
>
> What client or web manager do you talk about? VMWare Server 2.0 has a browser
> interface, and the browser does not care about the Tomcat shutdown port or
> the (AFAIK totally unused) AJP connector port. As I wrote (and you did not
> quote) this browser interface works just fine on my system.

+1 (confirming what Rainer says above).
We have 2 Linux servers running VMWare 2.0, in testing at the moment.
There is a minimal Linux, and VMWare server runs as an application of
ditto.  Therein then, one can define Virtual machines, Linux or Windows.
  The Virtual machines can access the physical USB ports of the server,
if the server VMWare "shares" them.

It's nice, and it's free.  We do not really know the performance or
pittfalls yet.

I also do not really see the interest in running a separate Tomcat on
the physical Linux server, since one can easily define a Virtual host
and run a Tomcat in there. You can stop and start each Virtual machine
at will, take snapshots, etc..  Provided the basic server has enough
diskspace, one can define as many Virtual machines as desired, and start
only the ones one needs for the time being (thinking of development of
course, not production).  Since they are for all practical purposes
totally independent hosts with separate IP addresses, there are no
questions of port conflicts, version conflicts etc.

Until now I did not know that the VMWare server interface was based on a
internal Tomcat.
The management interface to VMWare server is indeed entirely via
browser. It's a bit like the Tomcat Manager, but nicer.
This interface is sufficiently graphic and complex to deserve a Tomcat
to manage it.  There is also a console applet, which you download and
install in the browser, and which allows, through the server, to obtain
a system tty console on each Virtual machine.

Maybe we should not advertise too much about the internal Tomcat, or
we're going to have all the VMWare users coming here for support
whenever they have a problem with the management console.