Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Mª José Esteve <mj...@iest.com> on 2018/09/08 12:47:27 UTC

Flash Player end of life, migration Flex to Apache Royale?

Hi,
After almost 10 years developing with Flex, from Adobe Flex 3 to Apache Flex
4.16.1, "I am forced to reprogram" all our management applications, in web
environment, because Flash disappears.

Our Web Suite has a front: in Flex (Flash Builder 4.7 / Apache Flex SDK
4.16.1), javasript and CSS, which communicates through FluorinFX, with a
back-end: VB.Net, ASPX.Net, (VS2008) hosted in IIS.

What do I do? To what environment do I migrate to maintain the maximum
possible code and maintain the current good performance? (I think that
encapsulating applications with AIR is not the solution because I need a web
environment)

Last year I started looking at the options and I thought it was best to
migrate to FlexJS and that's why I'm here ...

I have to say that working with Flex, after a few expensive starts, has been
a pleasure and it makes me very angry to have to reprogram applications that
are working phenomenally, for the large amount of data that moves. Without
going into details, ..., "I do not understand".

I would like to know your opinion, what would you do?

Thank you.

I do not know much english. I used the google translator
Just in case, ... I put the text in Spanish:

Hola,
despues de casi 10 años desarrollando con Flex, desde Adoble Flex 3 hasta
Apache Flex 4.16.1, "me veo obligada a reprogramar" todas nuestras
aplicaciones de gestión, en entorno web, porque Flash desapare.

Nuestra Suite web tiene un front: en Flex (Flash Builder 4.7 / Apache Flex
SDK 4.16.1), javasript y CSS, que comunica a través de FluorinFX, con un
back-end: VB.Net, ASPX.Net, (VS2008) alojadas en IIS.

¿Qué hago?¿A qué entorno migro para mantener el máximo código posible y
mantener el buen rendimiento actual? (Creo que encapsular las aplicaciones
con AIR, no es la solución porque necesito entorno web)

El año pasado empecé a mirar las opciones y pensé que lo mejor era migrar a
FlexJS y por eso estoy aquí...

Tengo que decir que trabajar con Flex, tras unos inicios costosos, ha sido
todo un placer y me da mucha rábia tener que reprogramar apliaciones que
están funcionando fenomenal, para la gran cantidad de datos que mueven. Sin
entrar en detalles,..., "no lo entiendo".

Me gustaría saber vuestra opinión ¿qué haríais?

Gracias.

--
Sent from: http://apache-royale-development.20373.n8.nabble.com/

Re: Flash Player end of life, migration Flex to Apache Royale?

Posted by hiedra <mj...@iest.com>.
Thanks

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Jose,

Not. You will have automatically prompt that new version arrived and you
can install it. Apart of that I'm announcing when new version appear on
users Royale list. If you won't have prompt you can always download next
one and install it.

Thanks,
Piotr

pon., 10 wrz 2018 o 00:01 hiedra <mj...@iest.com> napisał(a):

> I have arrived at a good time
>
> Prior, if I install version 1.14.0 now, will I have a problem with updating
> to the new version?
>
> Thank you
>

> --
> Sent from: http://apache-royale-development.20373.n8.nabble.com/

--

Piotr Zarzycki

Re: Flash Player end of life, migration Flex to Apache Royale?

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Jose,

On Monday-Tuesday we are going to release new version with lot's of fixes.

Thanks,
Piotr

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jose,

I think in terms of IDE it would be much better to choose one of the IDE
which fully support Royale.

Flash Builder is not supported by Adobe anymore and setup example there
cost you probably more energy than in proposed IDEs.

Moonshine [1] or VSCode with Josh's plugin [2]

[1] http://moonshine-ide.com
[2] https://as3mxml.com

Thanks,
Piotr

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi!

El dom., 9 sept. 2018 a las 3:21, hiedra (<mj...@iest.com>) escribió:

> Hi Carlos,
> thanks for your answer (I follow you from my beginnings with Flex and my
> applications are yours in 75% )

Thanks for your Kindly words! :)

> I do not have an engineering base, much less, and for many years I am a
> "passionate self-taught", you will have to be patient with me ...
>
> I also think that Apache Royale is my best option (HTML, JS, CSS sound very
> good, very standard), but I need to be sure because reprogramming the
> front-end of my applications is going to take a lot of time and I can only
> do it once.
>
> Part of our solutions are programmed in aspx and I am tempted to reprogram
> the front-end with vstudio, am I crazy?

I don't know too much about aspx, since I used it many many years ago, but
I read that you use Fluorine, and I think it was
an implementation of RemoteObject and AMF protocol right? If that is true,
you should try to connect with out RemoteObject
implementation and hopefully since people here report that it works along
with other solutions (BlazeDS, AMFPHP, ColdFusion,...)
I think you should get it working, and you should not need to change a
single line of code in your backend.
Think that ArrayCollection is translated in Royale to ArrayList and that's
all :)
If Fluorine those not work, we should see what's the problem. If is in our
AMF/RO implementation, we should try to fix it, or you can try to do it
yourself and send us a PR (Pull Request) so we can test the changes and if
works right merge it to Apache Royale.

> I am clear about the implications of doing the front-end in asp.net but I
> can not visualize them with Apache Royale. Especially I find it difficult
> map the objects / resources, which I currently have in my environment Flex
> (Custom mx and spark controls, remote connection classes with the dll in
> .net, ...) with which I will have with Apache Royale, can you explain?

The good thing about Apache Royale is that it works mostly the same as
Apache Flex. As I said before, the main change is that Flex's
ArrayCollection in Royale is ArrayList...the rest is the same. And I
recommend you to check examples in our blog, and in out repo and test
little things to see how it works. Knowing Flex, it should cost you
relative little time.

> Right now I'm not going to waste your time with the 1000 doubts I have.
> When
> I get to install AR in FB 4.7 and see some examples I think I'll have
> things
> clearer ...

As Piotr, said in his response, we recommend not going with FB4.7 since is
an obsolete product not maintained anymore.
VSCode or Moonlight are the IDEs to go without doubt, since they are worked
specifically for Royale, are more light weight, and actual code with people
upgrading and maintaining. If you take FB path, you can find many, many
problems in your path.

> Thank you so much for your answer.

Thank you to trying Royale!  Happy Royaling! :)

> (Sorry for the translation ...)
>

> --
> Sent from: http://apache-royale-development.20373.n8.nabble.com/

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Flash Player end of life, migration Flex to Apache Royale?

Posted by hiedra <mj...@iest.com>.
Hi Carlos,
thanks for your answer (I follow you from my beginnings with Flex and my
applications are yours in 75% )

I do not have an engineering base, much less, and for many years I am a
"passionate self-taught", you will have to be patient with me ...

I also think that Apache Royale is my best option (HTML, JS, CSS sound very
good, very standard), but I need to be sure because reprogramming the
front-end of my applications is going to take a lot of time and I can only
do it once.

Part of our solutions are programmed in aspx and I am tempted to reprogram
the front-end with vstudio, am I crazy?

I am clear about the implications of doing the front-end in asp.net but I
can not visualize them with Apache Royale. Especially I find it difficult to

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hola Jose,

ya que hablas Castellano, y te desenvuélves mejor, te responderé
igualmente. Creo que has venido al lugar adecuado. Tú como muchos otros que
estamos aquí estamos resolviendo el problema de migrar desde Flex a HTML.
Apache Royale resuelve este tema.

Tal y como yo lo veo tienes 2 caminos:

a) Emulation Components (MXRoyale y SparkRoyale): Son 2 librerías que se
están creando ahora mismo para que puedas compilar tu aplicación Flex en
Apache Royale con mínimos cambios. Si solo usas Flex y no tienes librerías
de terceros, te podrás aproximar al 100%, pero lo normal es que tengas que
hacer adaptaciones. Ahora mismo el objetivo es "compilar", aunque no se vea
nada todavía en pantalla. El siguiente objetivo es comenzar a visualizar
ese código. La Fase 1 está prácticamente terminada, y se ha fusionado en la
rama "develop" hace unos días. Otros como Alex Harui podrán decirte más,
pero el primer paso sería tratar de compilar el código de tu aplicación
contra dichas librerías. Poco más te puedo decir sobre este tema y deberás
preguntar a otros (en Inglés)

b) Jewel UI Set: Es un juego de componentes nuevo, trata de tener lo mejor
de Flex y lo mejor de las tecnologías HTML. Es posible que en algún momento
esta pueda ser la "cara" de los componentes de emulación pero está por ver.
El objetivo de esto es poder usar el mismo tipo de programación AS3/MXML
que teníamos en Flex con comunicaciones AMF/RemoteObject y tener la
posibilidad de usar temas y además es Responisve. En este caso, si tu
backend es AMF, con esta solución solo tendrías que reprogramar el cliente
flex usando el mismo API de tu backend. Es la solución que he elegido yo y
en la que estoy invirtiendo todo mi tiempo. Está ya bastante avanzada, pero
todavía le faltan cosas aquí y allá.

Esta es una buena época para empezar a migrar por que ya hay soluciones y
si faltan cosas, ya empiezan a ser solo detalles.
Además más manos que puedan ayudar sería muy bueno para el proyecto.
Creemos que Apache Royale es una tecnología totalmente diferenciadora y si
decides subirte a bordo verás que tiene una arquitectura muy robusta y bien
pensada y además rinde mejor que otras muchas soluciones de gran renombre
actuales.

Espero haberte sido de ayuda. Eso si, a partir de ahora deberíamos pasar a
inglés por respeto al resto de la lista ;)

Enlaces que te recomiendo visitar

Web:
http://royale.apache.org/

Ejemplos:
https://royale.apache.org/category/royale-examples/

Twitter (videos y gif animados donde puedes ver como luce Royale - no
olvides seguirnos!! ;) )
https://twitter.com/apacheroyale

Carlos